Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, finally got my bike goin for the summer. Got my tanks back on after getting painted, but now I've run into a random issue. I have LED signals and a LED specific flasher. When the bike is not running, they work great, no issue. With it running, they don't flash at all, they just stay solid. Battery is fully charged, I've moved the grounf from chassis, to battery and back to chassis, checked all connections, I am lost. Could it be my charging system screwing something up? They worked last year, only thing I've changed since then is coils from an xs650 and replaced my headlight with a 35w halogen, that's it. My friend has a voltmeter, I just haven't had a chance to get over there and get it. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Does it matter whether it's kick started or it's started with the button? Same result with no flashing?

What happens when the bike isn't running but the key is on, then you turn the flashers on so they're flashing, then start the bike?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Mitch..... The CJ doesn't have electric start.......
I find it hard to believe that the minimal needs of the LED flasher aren't being met when the additional draw of the engine/ignition is added to the equation unless the battery is essentially "dead".....(As the charging system should be generating the necessary electrical energy when running)
An easy "test' would be to turn the bike and flashers on with the "kill" switch turned off (and presumably the flashers would work)... Then turn the "kill" to the "run' position...IF the flashers then fail, the draw of the coils, etc is too great for the battery's current state of charge (dead battery).... If it still works in this scenario, but fails if you actually kick over and start the engine, there is something wrong with the charging system components and/or the wiring in general.... Personally, I suspect a dead battery......

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, tried it with the kill swicth to off, they blinked, turned it to run, they still blinked, kicked over the engine, it started running and no more blinking, they just stay solidly lit. I did replace the rectifier with one from Oregon, but that was a long time ago, and they worked last year after I did that, but is it possible that might have went bad?

·
Registered
101 Posts
You say a new 35W headlight was put in.....Try it with the headlight unplugged. I suspect the 35W headlight is drawing to much juice. Even though it's OEM wattage.

NE

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
CurbTiger said:
You say a new 35W headlight was put in.....Try it with the headlight unplugged. I suspect the 35W headlight is drawing to much juice. Even though it's OEM wattage.

NE
Yup, that would be my guess as well. Either that or the battery is old and might need to be replaced.

The condenser doesn't have anything to do with the blinkers. You might check the rectifier and the regulator. If they're not working properly you might not be charging the battery.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a voltmeter and hooked it up to the battery and its showing around 12-13, then when I start it, it sits at 12.2, and goes up to 14.4 when I rev it too 6k. And I meant rectifier, but for some reason in my head I was thinking the word 'condenser'. Tested it with the headlight unplugged and it still does it, so its not that. How do I test the rectifier?

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
diloret2 said:
I got a voltmeter and hooked it up to the battery and its showing around 12-13, then when I start it, it sits at 12.2, and goes up to 14.4 when I rev it too 6k. And I meant rectifier, but for some reason in my head I was thinking the word 'condenser'. Tested it with the headlight unplugged and it still does it, so its not that. How do I test the rectifier?
That's what it's suppose to do so I'd say the rectifier and regulator are working properly, sounds odd. You can always get a flasher from the auto parts store and hook it up and see what happens but if works with the motor off it should certainly work with the engine running.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, thats what's odd, I figured it'd work the same running/not running. I have the old flasher from the bike, they'll just flash real fast, but I could give it a shot to see if maybe something internally in the flasher is shot. The battery is not even a year old yet, and is always on a battery tender.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It could be a brand new & defective LED flasher unit. Have you spoken to the supplier?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I emailed them, thats about, at this point, all it could be. The unit is the only thing that makes them blink, and they're not. It's just odd it doesn't do it while it's running. The only thinig I can think, is that some regulator, diode, etc. in the actual flasher unit, is shot. Hopefully they'll replace it, otherwise I may just go back to good ol' bulbs!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, got a new flasher unit, and that didn't work either. Now they won't even flash off or on. The only way to get them to do anything is to use the thermal flasher and they will stay solid. What else is connected to the blinker wires? Do they run through the regulator? That's the only thing I haven't replaced. I took my battery to 2 different places to have it tested, and they both said it was good, so it's not that either...

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Are you using all of the terminals on the flasher unit? As in, are they all plugged into a wire? I remember my previous experience with a "NO LOAD" flasher, I had to run a seperate ground wire from one of the terminals to a good ground.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea, it was grounded. I initially thought it was the ground and moved it twice, but it still does it.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
My only thoughts about this are that the LED units are polarity sensative....That is, they won't work if the battery positive and negative are somehow reversed when connected to the flasher module.....BUT, as the LED lamps do light-up, (and they would immediately self-destruct IF the polarity was reversed,) that can't be the problem......The turn-signal circuit is essentially an independant circuit, and it should not have mattered if the engine was running or not..... How many terminals (wires) are connected to the flasher? (is it possible the flasher polarity can be reversed while the lamps are still properly polarized?)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Aren't the bulbs themselves polarity sensitive? Meaning 'don't they have to be inserted in the correct direction?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The flasher has 3 terminals. One of which being a ground. I switched the plugs, still did nothing. I am lost. I think I'm goin back to bulb signals, these LED's are being too much of a pain!!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Have you tried swapping one bulb out on the front and one on the rear to a normal bulb? That might help solve the problem or give us all a clue..?

GB :mrgreen:

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Even a microsecond of reversed polarity can burn out the bulbs (lamp units)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts