Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have my rebuilt Bomber project about done, but when finishing up some wiring last nite, I noticed that I am not getting spark at the left (as sitting on the bike) cylinder or on the left side (as looking straight at it) point.

I read the post on how to set the static timing and will do so tonite.

Can anyone confirm what color wires go where from the coils and condensors? The wiring diagram in the Clymer manual are iffy to say the least. I believe that I have a blue wire from the condensor going to the right point, a yellow wire from the condensor going to the left point, and 2 other wires from the Coils I believe, one green from the right coil to the right point, and a red and yellow from the left coil to the left point (I will have to confirm the wiring when I get home tonite and could provide a picture, but if anyone knows what goes where off the top of their head, it would be a huge help!

Bike fired on both points and cylinders a few months ago before tear-down on this set of new plugs.

Also, my tailight works when I press the brake lever, but not when I have the ignition on, looks like everything is hooked up correctly from what I can tell--I'm guessing this may be a dual-filament bulb and one has burnt out?

Thanks!

-Mike

·
Registered
175 Posts
Check the wiring diagramme. beyond that, no matter what your wiring looks like or is colour coded, both coils get power from a black/white wire that has a split connector for wires to each coil. If anyone's changed the coils, the colours after the b/w connector may not agree with the diagramme. The coil that's connected to the front set of points has a secondary wire connected to the left cyl. spark plug. Opposite for the right. Left & right are always from the viewpoint of a rider seated on the motorbike. With the ignition switch turned on, the moving part of the front breaker point will test hot when the breaker point is open, likewise the rear one. If the switch is on and the breaker is closed, if you open it by lifting up on the moving arm the coil attached to that breaker will discharge - will yield a spark at the plug on the appropriate side. If everything is working.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Mike.... Contrary to the previous info, the pre-69 450's had a black feed wire that supplies power to both the coils....
the wires (usually a blue and a yellow) from the negative (other) side of each of the coils each go to the condenser AND to the point with the same color wire (left is usually yellow, right side is usually blue)....... If your coil wires are not these colors, they are not stock (not a bad thing) and one wire from each coil will go to the black feed, and one from each will go to the cond and point for one side.....
The black-with-white-stripe power feed to the coils started in 1970 with the advent of the DOT required "kill" switch.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts