Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I rebuilt the petcock on my Black Bomber project and it still leaks like crazy. I'm wondering if there is a modern equivalent that will fit the Bomber or 450 in general? NOS versions sell for $50+ and I'd rather spend a bit less than that and have something newer on the bike anyway.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

-Mike

**I figured that the petcock is mechanical so I posted this here, mods, please move this if you feel so inclined.**

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
If the rebuild didn't work, you are probably better off just biting the bullet and buying the NOS one..... A used eBay example is likely to need another rebuild kit, and you will already have invested for the unit and shipping..... Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings......

·
Registered
175 Posts
I fixed the leak in mine by replacing the flex washer and the nylon washer that holds the moving selector plate in place with a thin "O" ring that matched the outside circumference of the plate, then I made some shim washers (drilled holes in tin can lid and cut around them) to go between the retaining cover and the valve body so I could "set" the amount of pressure on the "O" ring and still tighten down the screws. I rubbed the ring with silicone grease and put it together - as a temporary fix, but the valve didn't leak and it never quit working. I carried a spare "O" ring with my tools (being of little faith), but it never got used.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
The peace of mind you gain from knowing that your new petcock is'nt filling your crankcase with fuel is worth the $48 plus shipping. That is, if your floats aren't set properly or your float needle valves are worn... In the long run it can save an engine for you..

So unless you have new float needle valves.......

GB :mrgreen:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts