·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
659 Posts
HA !!!
"Great bike. Locked up. Don't know if it needs top end or not. I don't think it is too bad ....only one side cover...etc..etc...."

Well....I'd hate to see it get parted out. But it's not worth 1150 bucks. I bought mine for 700 and it ran and had all the parts ! I got great a deal no doubt but, that bike shouldn't sell for over a 1000 anyway.

Still hate like hell to see it get parted out. Someone go rescue it. Show up in a truck and show him 7 one-hundred dollar bills. He'll take it.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
I think that's way to much money but then I'm not looking for a Bomber either.

No side cover, missing tank badges, wrong pipes, motor locked up etc. It sounds like the seller is valuing the bike based on what he thinks he can sell the sum of the parts for and he's trying to convince potential buyers of that.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
I agree.....$700 to $800 max..... Maybe a $1000 IF he processed it and got the title...
I just got a '70 CL 450 K3 for $175 (with papers)......All there except for the clutch lever....

·
Registered
210 Posts
66Sprint said:
I just got a '70 CL 450 K3 for $175 (with papers)......All there except for the clutch lever....
That's exactly what I am looking for :(

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, I agree that its too much money, for some reason these things seem to go for more money here in seattle, and there doesn't seem to be that many around, which probably only adds to the price...

but if I was swimming in cash and didn't know what to do with it....

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
You would be shocked at what it would fetch in the UK even in that condition. Sadly they are like rocking horse s**t over here.
I believe that less than 2000, were ever imported to the UK. I have to say even though I have no confirmnation it may well have been only 1000 of them. This was the bike though that pretty much caused the colapse of the British bike indistry in the early seventys, Then the 750 4 came and it was curtains.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes the 'Black Bomber' is rare over here and commands silly money, it didn't seem to attract 'Big British Bike' riders who still distrusted Japanese bikes. Has already stated on this forum dealers just couldn't sell them, one dealer repainted them red and cafe styled them and that helped, as I remember the 4 speed box meant poor gearing, the later K1 European Style and 5 speeds did help it I believe.
Being released in 1966 I'm not sure it caused the collapse of the British industry in the 70's but the 750/4 released 1969 almost certainly helped, along with the other Japanese manufacturers who had started building bigger bikes.
Unfortunately I believe the British bike industry caused its own end by not looking at what the buyer wanted, just carrying on building for past customers and expecting loyalty to keep them going, times had moved on sales were increasing but they just didn't seem to see it.
This reminds me at the weekend I saw a 1970 Triumph Bandit 350 which could well have given BSA/Triumph a much needed boost if it had gone into production, while looking at it an old BSA employee spoke to me and told me he had seen one out accelerate a 750/3 cylinder from a standing start.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
malcolmgb said:
This reminds me at the weekend I saw a 1970 Triumph Bandit 350 which could well have given BSA/Triumph a much needed boost if it had gone into production, while looking at it an old BSA employee spoke to me and told me he had seen one out accelerate a 750/3 cylinder from a standing start.
I thought they did import a Triumph Bandit 350 here to the states in 1970 or '71. I as a kid, I recall seeing them and wanting to ride one. I thought they had about the same HP as the CL350.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
210 Posts
As I remember they built some with no engine internals for display, all publicity material was produced and some running machines. I read somewhere that only 4 running examples are left, no spares are available.
Yes America were very excited about its release being a very good market for BSA/Triumph. Good to see the Street Scrambler model for sale in France, only seen pictures of that type.
The thing I thought odd was having 2 different engines styles for the different marques rather than just badge engineering them, they did then same with the triples.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts