Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1966 Honda CB450 just getting it back together. Ran for the first time in 40+years. The front and rear rims are very rusty and I would like to find a better set. We are replacing all parts with NOS or used items so I am asking what year wheels are the same and will fit? thank you Jim

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
40 hole rims,front and back, most of the other twins are 36 spokes. Honda fours use 40 spoke wheels, the front ones are 19 inches, rear 18 inches. It might be possible to lace up a rear one on the front of the bomber(if the width is ok).

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I'm no expert on that bike, but the majority of the sohc four cylinder Hondas also used 40 spoke rims. Perhaps that will help offer you some width choices while sourcing period correct rims to lace to your existing hubs.

Well, at least for the rear wheel.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The stock wheel are listed at 18 inches in the parts book-and the ones on the bike are 18. Because I want use only NOS or used parts I would need to find 18 inches wheels from a Honda that would fit? Any ideas-thanks Jim

·
Registered
513 Posts
The front wheel on the CB450K1 (68-69) will fit the Bomber. Good used front wheels are hard to find these days.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
The stock wheel are listed at 18 inches in the parts book-and the ones on the bike are 18. Because I want use only NOS or used parts I would need to find 18 inches wheels from a Honda that would fit? Any ideas-thanks Jim
Would a pair of 18" early CB750 rear wheels fit the bill?
Probably too wide for the front.

From Ebay:

s-l400.jpg

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Red Dragon??

Thanks for the information on the rims...and all the help. The project is doing well. I have a long list- a page and a half -of what was needed. It electric starts, lights work, horn, it idles-and takes gas, it runs in first gear on the centerstand, I just lost the very small spring for the starter button--twice, ordered two new ones. My son wanted to restore it with only New old stock or used parts-and thats what we are doing. Although there are still parts we are looking for. I am putting on the controls, cables, , tightening up the nuts and bolts. Spent a lot of time removing nests from bolt holes. I hope to take it down the driveway next week. thanks Jim

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Have you tried cleaning the wheels with tinfoil and cold water? With effort full rims and spokes will come up shiny and the foil will clear the rust and take out minor pitting.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Have you tried cleaning the wheels with tinfoil and cold water? With effort full rims and spokes will come up shiny and the foil will clear the rust and take out minor pitting.
Aluminum foil is great for that, it oxidizes so easily that when rubbed on rusty steel it can and will actually steal oxygen atoms away from the iron oxide! To speed the process you can substitute a mild acid for the water. Cola contains enough phosphoric acid, lemon juice contains enough citric acid, vinegar contains enough acetic acid, these acids will convert the iron oxide into soluble salts that will simply wash away. Phosphoric acid will leave a very thin discolored coating on the surface that will help prevent rust from returning. The other acids will leave clean steel which will be subject to flash rust so rinse and dry them quickly. And be ready to paint the areas you just derusted.

·
Sensei
26,354 Posts
If you do buy replacement rims, remember that the spoke holes for a drum hub are drilled at a slightly different angle than the ones for a disc brake spool hub.......
Both front and rear rims will be 18" with 40 spoke holes.......

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Red bomber: I found two good rims, 18 inch. One from a local shop (Nos), one ebay in good shape. All mounted with new tires. thanks for the help

·
Registered
504 Posts
Just found that of the 5 wheel hubs I have myself or have looked at for Bombers ... all of them have some degree of cracking around the cush drive areas.
I guess the 5-Speed is different as is the 500T ... see picture I did of a '67 Bomber one side by side with one from a 500T

Hubs_2.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts