Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just rebuilt my carburetors on my 1980 CM400T reinstalled the carbs now the bike want start. It will crank but not start. Seems like I not getting any fuel to spark plugs any suggestions

·
Registered
866 Posts
If you open the bowl drain screw is there fuel in the bowls?

·
Registered
805 Posts
how far apart did you take them? If all the way did you bench sync? did you change the idle screw at all? Mixture screws all 2ish turns out? Are the carb boots in good shape?

My favourite thing to check is that the kill switch is set to run (yes I've done this)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I replaced all the internal parts o rings float float pin both jets both needle Jet screws turned out 2 turns also I am blowing main fuse and tail light fuse when I try to crank it over

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Squirt some fuel into the intake.. see if it fires.. if not.. check ur spark.. if ur blowing fuses..I'm bettingvyur not getting fire..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have sprayed starter fluid into the carb I have checked spark and even replaced spark plugs. Still wont start

·
Registered
866 Posts
If you try to start it a few times and pull the plugs right after are they wet?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Ok.. I re read the intro.. you said you rebuilt the carbs, and the bike won't start.. did it run BEFORE you rebuilt the carbs??

·
Registered
641 Posts
If your getting spark, take a straw or extra fuel hose. Pull the spark plugs and dribble a little gas into cylinders. Then see if she fires up after you put the plugs back in. Theres only three things you need for it to run.
Fuel, air, spark!

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Charlie.. I agree.. but again.. did he have spark prior to rebuilding the carbs..

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
^^^and let's not forget that all 3 items above need one more thing to work properly - compression. Obviously, more info necessary. There are no cut-and-dried short stories or answers about this kind of stuff...

·
Registered
641 Posts
I agree, it needs compression, he had not answered back. So i figured a simple answer to him was a starting point. It is what i learned years ago, process of elimanation.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
No doubt, it serves us well... now we just have to see what he reports. A bit of a vague start, definitely need more info

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Ive learned (in my line of work) it isn't what people TELL YOU.. it's what they DONT tell you...

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Absolutely... think of how many threads that we've seen where the full story has to be dragged out of the OP. Sometimes people think little details aren't important... I might spin long answers, but my goal is to only have to explain it once with enough detail that they get it right away

1 - 20 of 40 Posts