Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
petcock on, ignition switch to on. when i i start it engages the starter but wont turn over. i can hear it almost combust. put new plugs in. battery fully charged. shall i spray ether in carb?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes i get spark, starter spins and it almost starts.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Try a little starting fluid. If it starts or sounds like it is trying to then you most likely have a fuel delivery problem.
Could be that your carbs are needing a thorough clean up. Could be clogged jets, stuck float valves, etc....

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Don't over think it..
Air
Fuel
Spark
... get a good / full charge on the battery... shoot a little starter fluid (or any fuel you wish) into the carbs.. choke it..you say you have spark.. and I'm pretty sure you have "Air"...
go from there...
I remember at sometime I either heard or read "90 percent of your electrical problems are carberator related"...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes choke is on. The starter spins fast and I actually got some engine start and an exhaust note a couple of times(yes fuel is on). I will try starter fluid next.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I think to compression fuel spark... Not certain on the order

Don't over think it..
Air
Fuel
Spark
... get a good / full charge on the battery... shoot a little starter fluid (or any fuel you wish) into the carbs.. choke it..you say you have spark.. and I'm pretty sure you have "Air"...
go from there...
I remember at sometime I either heard or read "90 percent of your electrical problems are carberator related"...

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Really there are only 3 reasons why an engine (any internal combustion engine at that) won't start

1. Mechanical interference/issues (no compression, seized, etc...)
2. No fuel (carburetion issues)
3. No spark (could be bad or weak battery, bad ignition coils, bad spark plugs, bad ignition timing, etc...)

Try to keep things simple and eliminate one issue at a time.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
BINGO......
Let's get this motor running!!!
Don't over think it

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so i was going through everything. i put starter fluid in. It started! some smoke for a bit and rough idle but then it settled down. i reduced choke slowly and then it purred away. idled was nice and steady. s

·
Registered
342 Posts
I occasionally get scolded on another forum for using starting spray/fluid to start a motorcycle engine.
Sometimes they need a little help to make that first surge. I may be too quick to spray but I think it is
better than running the battery down and overheating the starter. I have been told many times
"that stuff will ruin your motor". Hasn't happened yet.

4 cycle engine is, suck, squeeze, bang, blow in that order.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So it restarted when all warmed up with just one push. I will try a cold start see what happens. Is seafoan worth putting in?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Yes Seafoam does help to clean up the carbs a lot.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Yes, ... although there is a lot of "snake oils" out there.. but some additives are benificial..
Especially with the new fuels.. even with non-ethenhol or "ethenhol free".. I still use an additive..
staybil, Lucas, seafoam...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Put new fuel in and new plugs. started first press !
The other bike i get this:
https://youtu.be/wnmRx1wRP44
battery is good and new plugs. sorry for crappy vid. thanks

Reactions: JamesPal

·
Registered
866 Posts
Its bloody cold out too, might make for some tuff starting.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The 79 Hondamatic starts first press, don't think it's cold weather related. I did take starter clutch out and bolts were loose! thanks for all the help though

1 - 20 of 21 Posts