Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Cb350 is having some troubles starting. I was just wondering if I could get any type of help. The main thing right now is that it is not starting. I have re-done the entire wiring and have a wiring diagram that I made. With that being said there is no starter, because I am doing kick start only. With the battery on there is spark but with no battery there is no spark, which is odd because I have always been told that you can start a bike with kick start without a battery. Also I have fixed/re-done timing a few times and there is good compression and fuel.

·
Registered
214 Posts
...which is odd because I have always been told that you can start a bike with kick start without a battery.
Whoever told you that was unfamiliar with vintage Hondas, because they will NOT run without a battery. The battery supplies the 12v power for the coils to make spark at low rpm because the charging systems on these older bikes don't begin to break even until beyond about 2500 to 3000 rpm, so the battery is going negative while idling. If your battery will not hold 12.6v minimum after sitting for at least a half hour, it's probably bad and even if the bike will run it may well only run on one cylinder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Whoever told you that was unfamiliar with vintage Hondas, because they will NOT run without a battery. The battery supplies the 12v power for the coils to make spark at low rpm because the charging systems on these older bikes don't begin to break even until beyond about 2500 to 3000 rpm, so the battery is going negative while idling. If your battery will not hold 12.6v minimum after sitting for at least a half hour, it's probably bad and even if the bike will run it may well only run on one cylinder.
Oh gotcha, good to know. I recently got a new battery and it is loosing all of its voltage after it gets a load for a minute or less. Any thoughts on why that could be? Also I’ve tried starting it with jumper cables and that didn’t work either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh gotcha, good to know. I recently got a new battery and it is loosing all of its voltage after it gets a load for a minute or less. Any thoughts on why that could be? Also I have tried using jumper cables and it still won’t start.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sounds exactly like how a a bad battery behaves.

Charge it overnight, then take it to a parts store to have it tested.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds exactly like how a a bad battery behaves.

Charge it overnight, then take it to a parts store to have it tested.
Not arguing that the battery is bad but wouldn’t it start with jumper cables hooked up to my car? Because I have tried that and got nothing.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Not arguing that the battery is bad but wouldn’t it start with jumper cables hooked up to my car? Because I have tried that and got nothing.
You've told us little to nothing about what has been done to the bike, so we have no idea how the points and timing are and if you bought the points from Common Motor (and I'm sure you probably did what so many do and followed Common Motors video to set the timing, where they say points gap doesn't matter despite that NOT being true like half the stuff they tell people), if the valves and cam chain have been properly adjusted, what the compression readings were and how you attained them, if the carbs have been cleaned and/or rebuilt and whether or not you used kits and replaced all the brass parts (because aftermarket brass is usually wrong in the kits out there) and you haven't shown us the wiring or the diagram you made representing the wiring you did... so it isn't a simple answer as to why it won't fire, but a good start would be to verify the health of that new battery (which you did not mention how old it was either, new could have been 6 months ago and it sat while waiting for you to get the bike ready to start). You can't just ask a simple question like in your first post with almost no background for anyone to go on and expect the magic bullet that will fix the bike.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
If you've been trying to start it for a while the plugs are probably gas-fouled, get some fresh plugs and a good battery. It should start by jumping off your car, 12 volts is 12 volts.

Reactions: colvfrfg
1 - 9 of 9 Posts