Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just going through some of my scanned pictures and found a few from that year's trip across the state, back when the rules were more relaxed in the infield at the big track. My cousin borrowed a used red CBX of my Dad's (bought totaled and rebuilt) and we had a great time that week while blasting from almost every stop light like a continuous drag race... and no tickets were written to either one of us (how it never happened, I have no idea, just lucky). We always went to the short track races at Memorial Stadium back then too, always great racing with all the country's top pros there, plus the Big 4 new bike shows outside the track... and the party times at the hotel too :D

scan0057.jpg scan0061.jpg

scan0114.jpg scan0147.jpg

scan0148.jpg scan0149.jpg

scan0150.jpg scan0113.jpg

scan0112.jpg Gerry-my CBX Cabbage Patch.jpg

·
Registered
228 Posts
I guess I say that now, but I probably would NOT be saying that if I ever had to sync the carbs or set the valve clearance. I've heard you have to remove the engine to do the valves?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
When I bought my '89 fzr 600, it was sitting next to a red cbx. My friend commented on how they must use them to pull semis' out of the mud! Wish I could go back and buy them both.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Great idea to scan your old photos. Chemical dyes fade with time, and if you can get them digitized early enough, you can recover some or all of the faded color by simple use of the "enhance" or similar auto features built into most photo handling programs.
Before:

After:
ancientdad1 (2).jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great idea to scan your old photos. Chemical dyes fade with time, and if you can get them digitized early enough, you can recover some or all of the faded color by simple use of the "enhance" or similar auto features built into most photo handling programs.
Nice - I have my old unscanned pictures in a box that is in a closet and they never see the light of day, so they've held up pretty well for the nearly 40 years on most of them compared to the handful I had in an array frame for about 10 years. It's just the time consumption it takes to do all of them, but certainly a good suggestion. And then there's the hundreds, if not thousands, of 35mm slides my Dad left behind that I've only begun to convert...

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I say that now, but I probably would NOT be saying that if I ever had to sync the carbs or set the valve clearance. I've heard you have to remove the engine to do the valves?
God no - but you do have to remove the top motor mounts and it's still a wiggle to get the long, one-piece valve cover off. I only had to do the valves twice on both, and the red one was done when the engine was out after a rebuild following me wearing out the #5 rod bearing (hindsight says it was likely due to front oil pump pickup being starved during long wheelies, which I did a stupid amount of). The factory recommendation, IIRC, was to take one rear motor mount bolt out also and lean the engine forward a little... yes, a PITA, but with buckets and shims it wasn't necessary very often.

Damn those six (or three?) muffler setups looked so awesome!
6 into 6, 3 on each side

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, the carbs were a PITA too - but again, I was pretty lucky and got both bikes early in their lives and honestly, though they likely needed it a little by the time I sold them, neither bike idled rough enough to warrant going through the pain or paying anyone else to do it. One thing you never did with those bikes was let them sit long enough to get the carbs gummed up... but that really wasn't a problem, since it was so much fun to ride

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yeah, the carbs were a PITA too - but again, I was pretty lucky and got both bikes early in their lives and honestly, though they likely needed it a little by the time I sold them, neither bike idled rough enough to warrant going through the pain or paying anyone else to do it. One thing you never did with those bikes was let them sit long enough to get the carbs gummed up... but that really wasn't a problem, since it was so much fun to ride
OMG I still wake up in cold sweats traumatized by getting carbs off of 70's and 80's 4 bangers! I got so good at it on my XS1100 I started timing myself on removal and install, I think I got it down to 30 min. It wasn't nearly the worst either, but I was unaware of the needle seat o-rings and lacking in info at the time. Even after I got it sorted the damn thing got at best 27mpg. I'm not sure I recall correctly, but I think either my GS550 or KZ750 LTD were the worst I ever had to pull as far as wrestling them in and out. I don't even wanna imagine wrestling those bad boys on and off!

Interestingly, just for you budget folks, my KZ had cracks in the rubber diaphrams and ran like crap. Cracks so small they could barely be seen, but they were there. A guy on some board somewhere sugegsted I wash them in denatured and use a very light coating of grey RTV on both sides of the diaphrams and let it cure overnight. I'll be damned if that didn't work like a charm! IDK if it did forever, but I rode the bike for nearly a year after that without ever having to pull those carbs again.

I remember my utter confusuion first time I pulled Virago carbs! That was a learning experience to be sure.

Much as a CBX appeals sound and ride wise, I think I'd pass on owning one. If I ever have a six it will be a Wing or Valkyrie.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There isn't much else like an inline 6. The first one I ever saw wasn't a Honda - it was the Benelli Sei, a 750 and the first one they produced well ahead of the CBX. I was working at my last Honda dealer in 1975 before going to the City job, and a customer of the dealership showed up one day on his new Sei... it was awesome, and it made me think about it for years until I finally saw the first CBX at Honda's show tent in Daytona at Bike Week in 1978 - there it was, on a clear raised platform, rotating with the front end elevated so the 6 cylinders were easily visible... I drooled until 2 years later when the first one showed up totaled at the salvage yard my Dad did paint work for. I remember the call from my Dad like it was last week - "hey, you want a CBX?" Duh... I traded my CB750 and $400 for it wrecked and ended up with $2000 in it with only 4000 miles on it, along with one of my Dad's fabulous factory-style paint jobs. If you ever owned one, you'd probably feel like I do about them. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if I could afford it

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OMG I still wake up in cold sweats traumatized by getting carbs off of 70's and 80's 4 bangers!

...I remember my utter confusuion first time I pulled Virago carbs! That was a learning experience to be sure.
Carbs are no fun on many 4 cylinders and v-twins can be rough too. I forgot to mention the carbs on the CBX are in a bit of a V-shape as assembled, and even when there's more than enough room to get them in place - like after the engine is partially in the frame but leaning forward - they're still a bear to get into the intake stubs. But like so many bikes that can be difficult and cantankerous to work on, once the work is done the bike rewards you with the pleasures of why you bought it - riding, and listening to that sweet sound of success

1 - 15 of 15 Posts