Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings.

I've been riding on and off since I was a kid (30 mumble years ago), I own and ride the few bikes I have in my garage, and am looking at getting a first project bike to learn on. My skill level: I'm comfortable with basic maintenance, I've partially disassembled forks, but not yet done a full rebuild, I've changed tires and done the usual installation of accessories. I've done a tear-down and rebuild (top/bottom but not valves) of a ninja 250 engine once, in a class. I'd classify myself as "noob, but not *total* noob". I like the idea of working on a honda C* bike in general and a 300-450 twin in particular as a first project, but I'm certainly open to being told to start somewhere else.

I can also say that in the honda C* class of bikes, there's a CB125 (disassembled, and yes, I do know it's not a twin), a CL350 (in rough-ish shape) and a CB450 which looks clean in pics all within a few hours drive of where I live and all for <= $500; I've not yet been to see any of them. I'm not looking to make a show-quality bike. This is primarily a learning exercise with the secondary goal of creating a stock bike which is as mechanically sound as possible which looks its age.

Any of these i should rule out as not a good place to start for any reason? Any other things I should be considering?

I've been reading articles in this forum and others over the past couple of months, but any pointers to articles/docs/resources would be appreciated. I've no issue with RTFM'ing, but I do sometimes need to know where TFM is. And TFM rarely brings the value of experience to the table, so if I do wind up going down this road, there will likely be a laundry list of questions. =)

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I'm sure others will chime in but here goes...

For a first project, it's nice to have something running or nearly running. That would rule out the 125 (unless you want to rebuild something, and a single is a good place to start for that).

The 350s and the 450s each have their fans. The 450 with the DOHC is a great bike, but a little more of a pain in the ass to tune (I'm specifically thinking the carb position for adjusting valves). The 350s are great bikes too, though. I guess if they are similar in price aesthetics might play a role -- sounds like the 450 is nicer so it might make a better starting point.

If you post the ads, people can make more specific comments. But under $500 is a good starting point, and you might want to snag that 450 before someone else does.

Reactions: sitz

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
A 450 in good shape for $500 is certainly a deal to consider. You say it looks good in pictures but they always look better that way. Does the engine turn over? That’s a good question no matter what bike it is. Another good couple of questions are: is it in original condition and is it a complete bike? You make your life simpler from the start by answering yes to both of those. I would say ideally a CB/CL350 because they are so prevalent that parts and info are easier to source. The 450 is a bit more exotic in design and some parts can be harder to find.

Reactions: sitz

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'm not sure what state you live in, but I'd go for a bike with a title. Some states can make it a nightmare to get a title if the bike doesn't have one, but some make it pretty easy (Maine and Vermont come to mind). If it has a title, the CB450 sounds like a good deal. Just make sure the expensive bits are there.

Reactions: Rscottp

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Greetings.
Welcome - and as you can see, we here are always eager to help new members. In return, all we ask is that you take a look at the link below and post a proper introduction so we can get to know you and your prospective new bike better, so as to be of better help in the future. Thanks!

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/23-member-introductions/121120-critical-read-before-posting.html

Oh, and pictures... once you get pictures of the new (or potentially new) machine, pics are an immediate requirement to keep the masses happy... not to mention help us see potential issues with the bike that should be pointed out to help with your purchase

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome - and as you can see, we here are always eager to help new members. In return, all we ask is that you take a look at the link below and post a proper introduction so we can get to know you and your prospective new bike better, so as to be of better help in the future. Thanks!
Intro posted, rules read. I'm working on setting up meetings with bike owners at the moment; I'll have pics after that happens. And thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts