Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, I recently picked up a sweet 1974 CL360. It had been stored for several years. Fortunately, gas had been drained, fresh oil in crankcase.

The battery actually charged up. I cleaned out minimal rust from the tank using muratic acid. Put in fresh gas and it started. It's starts on the first kick or instantly from the elect starter.

I've ordered new air cleaners, gasket kit to change the oil and service the filter. Needs tires.

Anyway, the bike will shut off while idling. Neutral light goes off and it won't re_start. It's like I turned off the ignition. Sometimes if I fiddle with the connections on the starter solenoid located next to the battery... the neutral light comes on and it will start. But not always.

Battery tests fine at Western Auto.

Y'all think it's a bad starter solenoid?

Thank you for any advice you can give this retired guy in Texas.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Got fuel in the bowls? Could be the idle needs to be adjusted or the AF mix. Does it stall out after it warms up? Have you done the valves, and timing?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Your ignition switch itself could be faulty. Take it apart and clean the contacts well and inspect for defects.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Start by cleaning and tightening the battery cables, both at the battery and the frame and solenoid, as well as the cable from the solenoid to the starter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will do what you have suggested. Thank you. It sure is weird how it just shuts off like the key was turned to the off position.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I had a car that did the exact same thing as well. I was driving and then suddenly no power at all.
It did turn out to be a bad ignition switch

·
Registered
866 Posts
Easy enough to pull the ignition switch out and jump it on, see if it stays running.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
My CL175 used to do this.

It turned out to be the connector under the tank, where the ignition switch connects to the main loom. One of those cylindrical brown connectors with tubular pins. Replaced with a modern block connector, problem solved.

DSCF1673.jpg

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
This is simple diognotics .. the motor needs AIR, FUEL (compression), and SPARK... Air is pretty simple.. fuel, can be as simple vacuume in the fuel tank or stuck float. Electrical / spark.. I have learned to "start at the source/ battery" and work your way out after a good visual (disconnects, burnt /melted wires, fried points)... you should find ur issue between the terminal (pos) and the spark plug.. don't forget the negative terminal.. bad grounds WILL cause issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts