Honda Twins banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine belonged to my wife’s grandfather, whose nickname was “Junie”. I think that’s what I’ll go with, though I’ll refer to the bike as she haha

·
Registered
414 Posts
My '82 Nighthawk is known as the HamHock for being likened to riding about on a literal hock of ham. It's also a nice play on words.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Nah. "The Honda" I guess. I just plaster stickers on it as much as I can because Nighthawks are kind of ugly and I assume that's the only thing that fairing is good for (that and crack). It sure as hell isn't for aerodynamics! :-D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Black Pearl - '06 GL1800 119k miles
The Hunley - '78 GL1000 with '75 engine that had been submerged for a long time (turned into cafe show bike)
The Rocket - '79 CB750F rat bike that had been setting in a fence row since '99 - sold
They have personalities, why not names?

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
The Hunley - '78 GL1000 with '75 engine that had been submerged for a long time (turned into cafe show bike)
Submerged like the C.S.A. "submarine" of the same name? I see what you did there...;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
"......'75 engine that had been submerged for a long time"

Has to be a good story behind that. Or maybe a sad one ?
I really don't know all of the story. Bought it with intention to restore, until realizing it wasn't a '78 engine. Upon pulling belt covers off:

#1 & 3 exhaust valves were open, so the rust in those cylinders was addressed by "shaving" with single-edged razor blades. Much work over five years, but she runs great now. And I'm a bit proud to say that only the valve seat regrinding was farmed out.

Don't know how it got to be setting in water. Will probably remain a mistery like how the original Hunley was sunk.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well the last winter project - a '79 CB750F rat bike - was named "the Rocket" by the daughter. It is now gone to a new owner and I bought a portion of a '79 GL1000 that earned the name "junk". I gave the case with tranny gears to a friend for recycle, will probably keep the removable frame section and junk the rest of the frame. Only ~25% of the carb parts were useable. Next, I bought another '79 that had once had full Vetters, then hacked to semi-cafe. I will be returning it to a stock restore.

I was discharged from the Navy in '79 after 8 years of service to begin a new career. The wife and daughter have given the new bike the name "Freedom".

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have a black bomber named "Zoltan". It's the name of the guy that I bought it from. I originally labeled the crates that it came in with his name so I wouldn't get the parts mixed up with my other projects, but the name stuck.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts