Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again..i know im on a question spree but i need help...

After the bike wouldnt run... I did the following...

Set Timing..and double checked it...
Set points..
Set valve gap...
Synced Carbs...

SO IT STARTED second kick..good...adjusted carbs...

POP...back fired...then some more when i reved it a tad...and did so every once in awhile..

MY CONCLUSIONS....

maybe the cam chain tension is bad?
Cant believe it would be timing...
maybe the coil? / condensor?

im at a loss.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HerrDeacon said:
Have you checked the float levels? Also, check for air leaks at the headers and carbs. Wondering about your spark as well, is it strong?
Havent checked float level (more of a car mechanic..if you know what i mean ha)... No leaks im aware of, ill check and pay more attention. Spark is strong from what I can tell.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tbpmusic said:
eboggs said:
Set Timing..and double checked it...
Set points..

Did you read the timing procedure posted here??
If you moved the points, you changed the timing.
Ill check it out.. its a sticky? I suppose your referring to once you set timing, you have to move the points again after? right? I probably should have went and double checked timing.

I timed it using the CLYMER manual..seems to be the same as the sticky?

Ill have to look at both side by side. :idea:
Thanks!

Ethan

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
eboggs said:
.......I suppose your referring to once you set timing, you have to move the points again after? right? I probably should have went and double checked timing.

Ethan
Once again, if your timing is set, then you move the points at all, your timing is no longer set.......

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tbpmusic said:
eboggs said:
.......I suppose your referring to once you set timing, you have to move the points again after? right? I probably should have went and double checked timing.

Ethan
Once again, if your timing is set, then you move the points at all, your timing is no longer set.......
Ok, im gonna check the timing again once i get home...also gonna check the float level and clean the carbs... didnt rreally meticulously do this yet...

Im just kinda worried about running it while its backfiring...dont wanna break/ruin anything...should i not worry about this? never really messed with a bike before...so when it comes to backfiring i think of a timing issue (Cars)..seems like theres alot more possibilities with bikes!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Bike is backfiring..(UPDATE!)

Well two things happened today...

Cam chain tensioner...I took the tensioner off the back of the engine..and DOPE! tensioner wasnt even extended! so i put it back on..released the bolt..and heard it apply tension...Reset timing...(gonna replace the tensioner this winter)

Started it again..backfired again when deaccelerating...started messing with the carbs and it seemed to not pop as much..but ran out of gas before I could be 100% sure.

It has uni pods on it..so idk if this could be messin with the air/fuel ratio. (already on bike when bought)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Re: Bike is backfiring..(UPDATE!)

eboggs said:
Well two things happened today...

Cam chain tensioner...I took the tensioner off the back of the engine..and DOPE! tensioner wasnt even extended! so i put it back on..released the bolt..and heard it apply tension...Reset timing...(gonna replace the tensioner this winter)

Started it again..backfired again when deaccelerating...started messing with the carbs and it seemed to not pop as much..but ran out of gas before I could be 100% sure.

It has uni pods on it..so idk if this could be messin with the air/fuel ratio. (already on bike when bought)
Running out of gas by itself can cause backfiring........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts