Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just put my bike, a 69-70 cb350, back together and have been starting her up. She seems to idle fine, but I noticed when I give her gas really quickly there is a slight hesitation. Anyone know what it might be?

I did some research and saw a thread about adjusting the float level in the carbs when someone else had this issue. It supposedly made their bike run fantastically. Could the float level be my problem?

I am assuming it is at the carbs. I did sync he carbs, but note I DO NOT HAVE mufflers, exhaust gaskets installed, or the original air filters. I am running the unis. The bike is not jetted either.

Any thoughts?

Thx.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
bk69cb350 said:
Hi all, I just put my bike, a 69-70 cb350, back together and have been starting her up. She seems to idle fine, but I noticed when I give her gas really quickly there is a slight hesitation. Anyone know what it might be?

I did some research and saw a thread about adjusting the float level in the carbs when someone else had this issue. It supposedly made their bike run fantastically. Could the float level be my problem?

I am assuming it is at the carbs. I did sync he carbs, but note I DO NOT HAVE mufflers, exhaust gaskets installed, or the original air filters. I am running the unis. The bike is not jetted either.

Any thoughts?

Thx.
I think you just answered your own question :D
Set the float levels and re-sync the carbs.
Check the air filters for dead animals, livestock and small children, oh, and flow.
Check the carb pistons are free and run up and down with ease, (stick your finger in the carb mouth and feel the movement) are there springs fitted to the carb pistons?

Check the timing advance unit for function, (timing light) clean it with Kerosene and don't lubricate it with anything other than a dry lube.
:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
bk69cb350 said:
but note I DO NOT HAVE mufflers, exhaust gaskets installed, or the original air filters. I am running the unis. The bike is not jetted either.

I'd say this isn't exactly gonna make it purr like a kitten...

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
bk69cb350 said:
but note I DO NOT HAVE mufflers, exhaust gaskets installed, or the original air filters. I am running the unis. The bike is not jetted either.

I'd say this isn't exactly gonna make it purr like a kitten...

OK miss-read the original message :roll: ............don't bother turing the carbs unless the above are fitted, total wast of time as they have an effect on the carb operation.

Good call GB ;)

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea thx, that's why I mentioned it. I figured I should probably get that all squared away first.

One problem I am having is that the gaskets need to be crushed in order to get them to fit. Can I simply run them over with my car in order to flatten them?

I will be running the uni filters and I hope I do not have to jet the bike. I have been told and read that the stock jets should be fine.

Thx.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
bk69cb350 said:
Yea thx, that's why I mentioned it. I figured I should probably get that all squared away first.

One problem I am having is that the gaskets need to be crushed in order to get them to fit. Can I simply run them over with my car in order to flatten them?

I will be running the uni filters and I hope I do not have to jet the bike. I have been told and read that the stock jets should be fine.

Thx.
Do you mean the copper exhaust gaskets? If so, they are crushed by the tightening of the exhaust bolts. This ensures that they seal and fit the surface exactly ;)

·
Registered
659 Posts
bk69cb350 said:

Thx.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Now now Ric...dont piss in his beer ;)

:lol:

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
leethal said:
Now now Ric...dont piss in his beer ;)

:lol:
I held my breath :mrgreen: as i typed...

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thing is I tried that and it didn't work. The collars were sticking out about a quarter of an inch. I'll try again and take photos.

I'm telling you man, I'm running them things over :)

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
bk69cb350 said:
Thing is I tried that and it didn't work. The collars were sticking out about a quarter of an inch. I'll try again and take photos.

I'm telling you man, I'm running them things over :)
Don't use a large US car, way to heavy, they're made to be run over by a light Jap car, say a small Honda :lol: :lol:

Which way did you have the two half collars?? raised section out? try placing them on the exhaust and then tape them in place with one round of masking tape (paper). This will hold them so you can get on with the rest of the fitting, the tape will burn off in 5 min of riding and as it can't be seen, so will not leave any unsightly marks...

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hahaha yes I have the collars on correctly! Lol I will give it another try and see what happens. I may not have tightened them as tightly as I could before.

I believe the bike didn't have gaskets before. When I pulled the pipes, collars and sleeves, I couldn't find any gaskets inside.

I really just need to crush the gaskets.

Thx all

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
The old gaskets get REALLY smashed in there over the years by removing and installing the pipes time and time again. Then they leak and get covered by carbon/soot and you can't see them. Try lightly scratching where they should be to see if you can see any softer copper material. Gently...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts