Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to cb200's having bought a non running bike. Just starting to look through things I realize they have 18mm carbs and approximately 25mm ports. Is anyone here experienced in fitting bigger carbs and interested in passing on their experience?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Just out of interest, what figure is cast into your existing carb tops ?

If it's 18, and not 20, I'll keep quiet. :-?

In the small print:

cb200 carbs.JPG

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Devils advocate time. Some engines are deliberately strangled by the maker fitting carbs that are too small. The CB200 does not fall into that category, IMHO. Same size inlet ports as the 175.

( I originally had a 110cc engine in my Lifan monkey bike. Swapping the tiny original carb and manifold for a Mikuni VM26 perked it up no end. inlet port opened up to match the bigger carb and manifold, otherwise stock internally)

DSCN5278.JPG before.JPG

mikuni2.jpg after.JPG

·
Super Moderator
9,752 Posts
Can't disagree Richard, but other than the 5 hp CB100 and maybe an S90 or some other small bike back then (when a longer carb slide was the limiting factor, never going WOT), I don't think Honda has ever done what you mentioned about the Lifan engine/carb

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just out of interest, what figure is cast into your existing carb tops ?

If it's 18, and not 20, I'll keep quiet. :-?

In the small print:

View attachment 295966
Carb tops say 20. somewhere i read that the greatness of america is the right to protest for rights, i mean that tops with 20 mean 18mm carbs. also i read 200's have 18mm carbs. that add you post says 20's which i haven't seen elsewhere.I am still new to this honda twin thing. usually work on ols british bikes.

·
Super Moderator
9,752 Posts
usually work on ols british bikes.
Well, there's a big part of the problem... :lol: seriously though, I've seen Honda's info showing 20mm carbs on the 200 myself. I just looked in the 200 shop manual for the specs but it isn't listed with all the other specs for the bike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi simo. I see you are in New Zealand. So am I In Wellington. I just bought a pile of 200 bits off TradeMe. Equal to just about two bikes with a third motor. Hoping to build as a 240 classic racer.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Hi Jimq.
I'm in Auckland
How much $$$ do you want to throw at it?
The weak spot in these engines is the can journals , they're plain bearings so they spool and seize if they're oil starved . I'd recommend
Popping over to "do the ton" and reading texasstar ( Patrick and Zeke) build thread as they built the fastest cb200 I know of ( clocked at 99mph)
Then come back to hondatwins, to chat with us about the nuts and bolts of it all

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Jimq.
I'm in Auckland
How much $$$ do you want to throw at it?
The weak spot in these engines is the can journals , they're plain bearings so they spool and seize if they're oil starved . I'd recommend
Popping over to "do the ton" and reading texasstar ( Patrick and Zeke) build thread as they built the fastest cb200 I know of ( clocked at 99mph)
Then come back to hondatwins, to chat with us about the nuts and bolts of it all
Hi thanks for the reply Simo.

Hoping not to spend too much on this one.

Still trying to find that thread on dotheton.

I am thinking 80-90 mph will do me. with that probably the only place i would be left wanting will be the back straight at pukekohe. Manfield and Taupo dont really have much flat out stuff.

the major things i am thinking of doing (a combination of but not necessarily all) are boring to 240, raising compression, Improved cam and running on methanol. with a bit of porting thrown in which i will do myself for the first time.

My reason for starting on this path is i am tired of spending a fortune on old BSA's and Triumphs so it feels a bit more fun to pick up two bikes plus a spare motor for a bit over $400 (that would have been about $10,000 if it was old and british) and just have a play with things.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts