Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been fighting a rich mid-range hesitation with my 450 since I installed Keyster carb kits. After comparing the old slide needles to the Keyster ones I found that the taper of the needle was quite different and the needle was quite a bit narrower at the tip. Since the kits don't come with the needle jets to match the needles I decided to re-install the old needles. That has solved the issue. The gaskets, jets and needle/seat assemblies seem to be OK but I would be very careful to compare the old and new parts in these kits from now on.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Actually on mine the needles were ok (I didn't micrometer them but visually they appear to be the same) the seat supplied was HUGE with the oem needles or the keyster supplied needles.

QC seems to be lacking. The rubber parts work well enough.

OT: Currently have my engine torn down for a refreshing....hmm it should be fun when I'm done :) The piston set with rings, wristpins clips (everything) from Japan on ebay for $75 shipped! Seems to be good quality. End gaps measured in the range toward the tighter end after a hone of the cyl. (old rings measure at max wear limit) Here's the link in case anyone cares http://cgi.ebay.ca/HONDA-CB400T-CB400N- ... 1e5b053b2e Also available is oversized stuff. Top ring is either chrome or molly and the rest look like pretty standard stuff. Piston top is identical but the portion where the skirt is has a wee bit less reinforcement on the inside. I don't think it'll matter enough to worry about. Ring lands and deck height appear to be identical from my measurements.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Re: Beware of Keyster car kits!

HerrDeacon said:
Another member here recently posted on his issues with the Keyster kits. His issue was with the needles as well Keyster = Crap
Oh great. Keyster rebuild kits for my '76 CB360T were sent to me too. The whole contents of the package look wrong compared to whats in my carb.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I put a keyster in my cb360. Works fine for me. Sorry about your troubles.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
The Keyster kits for the CB360 have a few issues. 1) The main jet is leaned out from a 110 to a 100, I advise using the factory 110 jet. I believe the intent was to lean out the mixture when running factory air cleaners. 2) The kit is missing the O-Ring for the drain plug. Other than that they are identical to the K&L kits (I have compared them side by side). It seems like no matter what kind of carb I've rebuilt the rebuild kits I've found are always a little off, regardless of brand.

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
Same thing here. There are at least 4 variations on the carbs, the early CB360 had 68 main jets.

MY 360 has 110, and I reused it, rather then use the 100 in the kit.

If the jets are cleaned carefully, there is no need to replace them.

The idle circuit jet has the emulsifier holes. They are tiny and clog easily. They need to be examined closely. I've found some of the replacements have different sizze holes in the emulsifier section then the original.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts