Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to paint the jugs, head, and cases on my 450 motor. The question is primer no primer? High temp spray or regular? I would like to use spray paint has anyone had bad experience with it? Everything has already been blasted so I just need some advise on the other. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I can't give advice here, only tell you what I do....
I use Duplicolor Self-Etching Primer, followed by Duplicolor Engine Enamel - then I bake the pieces to cure, then reassemble.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When baking do you just apply until happy and then bake or bake when tacky? What kind of temp and how long? And how pissed is my wife gonna get with the smell in the oven when done??? :lol: Does it stink it up?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
owdskl said:
When baking do you just apply until happy and then bake or bake when tacky? What kind of temp and how long? And how pissed is my wife gonna get with the smell in the oven when done??? :lol: Does it stink it up?

It's all on the can.
Clean everything in acetone before primer.
DO NOT bake when tacky - allow to dry overnight. If it's even slightly wet, baking will cause out-gassing, ruin the finish.

It will smell some, turn on the vent fan. This stuff "bakes" at less than 200 F, as I recall - that's not really very hot. It gets hotter than that when it runs, the idea here is to just give you a chance to put it back together without screwing it up - the real "baking" happens on the bike.

There are numerous colors available, in a range of finishes. Avoid the high gloss, it's too much for an engine.
Experiment and choose matte, satin, etc..........

This paint might chip, say you drop a tool on it or something. The clutch/alternator covers have to be completely stripped and roughed up to get the paint to stick well and avoid chipping. The head and cylinders don't seem to have the chipping problem.
But it does pretty well with fuel, long as you clean it up quickly.
Others claim that different brands do better, but I haven't found that to be the case personally.

·
Registered
659 Posts
You can go to Duplicolors web site; they use to have all sort of instruction material including videos.

I also use etching primer and follow instructions on the can. My prep is different from bills' though.

1. clean with an engine degreaser of any kind.
2. spray liberally with Total Prep (usually found at AutoZone)
3. clean with Dawn dishwashing soap and water
4. blow dry to remove trapped water (using a good dry air source)

After final color coat I let sit for two days in the warm dry house. Then I bake at 150 F for a few hours.

But check out Duplicolors web site....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts