Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1971 SL 350
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ll start this off by saying I’m fairly new to bikes and their electrical components...but I was wondering if it’s best to disconnect all my connections to my battery before attaching battery tender? Or if it’s better to leave all the connections intact and then either clip or screw on the tender? I have a ‘71 SL 350 if that matters. The last time I charged it I left all the connections and just clipped on the tender, but also wondering if there’s a difference in screwing on the alligator holes. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Most people attach the eyelet connector piece to the battery and leave it there. Then, all you have to do is lift up the seat and plug the other end of the charging cable into it. Unless you’re storing a bike for a long time, just leave the battery connected and in the bike when you charge it. For long-term storage, It’s probably better to take the battery out of the bike, put it somewhere safe, and leave it on the tender (or just change it periodically).

·
Registered
1971 SL 350
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most people attach the eyelet connector piece to the battery and leave it there. Then, all you have to do is lift up the seat and plug the other end of the charging cable into it. Unless you’re storing a bike for a long time, just leave the battery connected and in the bike when you charge it. For long-term storage, It’s probably better to take the battery out of the bike, put it somewhere safe, and leave it on the tender (or just change it periodically).
Thank you for that! I should also say that my battery already has eyelet connections from the headlight and rear light, should I put the tender eyelets on top of these? Or unscrew those and then just put the tender eyelets on?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Connect your charging pigtail directly to your battery, black is negative (-) and red is positive (+)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Plug your battery tender into one of those, plug in the wall, timers and set it to be on for a few hours each day. That way it won't run the battery dry , and ruin it, when you forget to check it for a month.

Reactions: colvfrfg
1 - 5 of 5 Posts