Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting my 350 engine back together. What is the best assembly lube to use?

Also, what oil should I be using? It's a 73 CL350K5.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I used AMSOIL and it's great stuff but I started using it mostly because my buddy is also a local dealer.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've done two motors in the past three years using a moly based assembly grease and Rotella t4 10w-30 and an oil change within the first ten miles/half hour of run time. I had my fingers crossed with the initial running of my CB 450 rebuild with the PITA valve covers, but the oil did find it's way to the top end pretty quickly, as I found out after the first few minutes of running.I had to unbolt the ex. valve cover to see it but it looked good and oily. If I had to do it again, I'd leave that front cover off during the first attempt to start it and deal with the potential mess afterwards. With the sloper, I uncovered the right side cam end (nice feature!) right before the initial start and flowed a fair amount of oil into the cam itself (laid the bike on it's left side for this step) as if I was priming the system, and unscrewed all the valve 'caps too and squirted a fair amount of oil onto all that I could reach. (Not so easy with the 450's eight bolt caps.) Probably overkill with that 'cause it was oiling really well within the first half minute of kicking/cranking. I had tested the oil pump in a small pan of oil during the assembly and knew it was pumping well, but that's only part of the system. I'm liking the Rotella t4 and since it's priced so well, I do oil changes at 1000 miles. The 450 prefers the 10w-30 despite the hot weather these days- I had too many missed shifts and false neutrals (same thing?) using the 15w-40 in it. even after a long warm-up. I was concerned about possible damage to the clutch plates with the moly grease, but it didn't and still doesn't slip.

I use the Rotella in my KLR 250 as well, but it seems to prefer oil changes every 600 miles. I'm running the 15w-40 in it this summer, and will return to the 10w-30 for the 'winter.'

1 - 7 of 7 Posts