Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a reassembly question that I imagine only experience can answer.

Is there a recommended order of operations for the rebuild phase... I am down to bare frame and ready to reinstall the wheels and engine. Not sure which should go first. Are there recommendations?

Side note, 1 last thing to deal with for now, I’m thinking of just sanding/painting my rusty handle bars black, because it looks like a pain in the ass to get the wires out of the old and into a new one. Thoughts on this?

Excited to finally be asking a rebuild question. Thanks!

Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Hmmm...not really? I just went with my intuition on my rebuild:
1. Swingarm and rear suspension
2. Triple tree
3. Forks and headlight ears
4. Carry into garage and place frame on a milk crate or something
5. Install sidestand and centerstand
6. Install rear wheel and rear brake
7. Install front fender, wheel and brake
8. Handlebar, mirrors, switches, headlamp
9. Lay out engine mount bolts where they need to be roughly on the ground and tape up your freshly painted frame
10. Install engine (2 ppl recommended!) and remove protective tape
11. Install wiring harness and make all your connections
12. Carburetors, air filters, headers and exhaust, fuel tank and fuel lines

aaaaand that is as far as I got until I was pulled away out of state.

Reactions: fillmarr

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Phil - if your frame is powdercoated and you don't want to risk chipping it (since decent touch-up is next to impossible), you could do what I did - lay the engine on its side with blocks of wood supporting it level and then lay the frame over it, then slip the two big lower motor mount bolts in and then tip the frame up and let it sit on the flat bottom. Once you get the engine in you can use blocks of wood to tip it up in the front and rear separately to put the front end together and then the swingarm and rear wheel.

450assembly.gif

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Nice tip Tom. Work smarter not harder!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hit me up with a PM if you need a helper sometime.

-Alan
Hell ya Alan. Thanks! I was wondering if there were any other greater Boston members active on the forum.

Reactions: Alan F.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Phil - if your frame is powdercoated and you don't want to risk chipping it (since decent touch-up is next to impossible), you could do what I did - lay the engine on its side with blocks of wood supporting it level and then lay the frame over it, then slip the two big lower motor mount bolts in and then tip the frame up and let it sit on the flat bottom. Once you get the engine in you can use blocks of wood to tip it up in the front and rear separately to put the front end together and then the swingarm and rear wheel.

View attachment 259632

Tom-

I just noticed that your cam shaft covers are off in your install pictures. I ended up starting to build up the frame without putting the engine in first from the side as you recommended, because I knew it’ll be at least another 1.5 months before I get to being able to start the motor up. I want it to be freshly lubed with oil before I do that.

So, can I leave those cylinder head covers off, install just like that, and not worry about having to button all that up until later this summer when I’m ready to go?

If so, that’s what I’m going to do tomorrow!

Phil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts