Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to ditch the original bars on my 74 cb450. I just realized that Honda was pretty innovative and ran the electrics inside the bars. Should I carefully disassemble and preserve or chop them for sake of efficiency? I'm just thinking that since I would not be routing them inside the new bars, I would have to get new controls anyway. Anybody else pioneer a process? Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
You can disconnect all the wires from inside the headlight pot that run through the bars. These wires can be pulled back through the bars through the holes toward each end again. They might take a little bit of working as the plastic casing around the wires might be a little stiff. You can also easily modify your new bars to have the same wiring holes in them as well if you want to keep a clean look on your bike with no visible wires.

I'll take a look for an old post to try and attach for you to reference.

Edit:Here is one example of it being done in this build project:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=639&start=330
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,610 Posts
No need to chop them. You can "unplug" them from the main wiring harness and then pull them through the bars. Its a bit of work but well worth it, even if you're going to be running the wires outside the next bars. You can still use these controls on the new bars, either by drilling similar holes to the ones on the original bars and running the wires through them, or cutting notches in the controls to allow the wires to run outside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome, thanks! Do I need to worry about compromising the integrity of the new bars if I choose to drill them?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
hondamonsta said:
Awesome, thanks! Do I need to worry about compromising the integrity of the new bars if I choose to drill them?
Unless you plan on doing some moto-cross or taking some big jumps.....no. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
589 Posts
If it's any help, I've just done exactly the same for the SL350 I'm rebuilding.

The original 'bars that came on it had been bent in a drop and good replacements are virtually unobtanium, so I ended up picking up a similar style set from fleabay. They're a slightly different shape to the originals, but by far the biggest issue was that they weren't drilled. The easy-ish bit is taking the measurements and approximate locations for the locating pin holes. I used vernier callipers to get the distance from the pipe ends, and then used 2 lengths of electrical tape to mark out where to drill.

Drilling circular holes is relatively straightforward, so long as you've got some kind of grinding tool and access to a pillar drill. Use a Dremel, grinding wheel or an angle grinder to flat off the area you want to drill through, use a centre punch to give yourself somewhere to start a pilot hole and you're away.

Cutting holes big enough to fit the wiring through is another matter. Chromed bars aren't that easy to chop neat sections out of (without a fully fitted workshop). Again, it's all down to creating flat areas then either drilling or grinding through. I found grinding wheels and angle grinders are too aggressive and uncontrollable - so the Dremel with a cutting disc did most of the work, and the rough edges (which could eventually chew through the wires) were taken off with a grinding bit. If you do it right, the switchgears cover up most of the area around the holes on the left and right ends.

The 'finished' product looks OK from pretty much any angle other than directly underneath the centre, where you could find evidence of my less-than-impressive Dremel work (if I'd photographed it).



Hope that helps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, that helps a lot. My friend is getting decent at drilling thru curved parts so I will go that route. I'm happy yet again to use my dremel as it's proving to be worth it's weight in gold!
-M
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top