Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
some of you may have seen me in the "introductions" forum.

unknown condition engine on a '73 CL 350.
for now i mostly want to just get it running. i have no idea when the last time it ran, probably in the 80s. PO filled it with oil to at least keep it from seizing, hopefully.

before i see if this thing rotates by the stator, what should i do to try and save the rings/bore?
can i pre-lube this thing somehow?

thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
okay, so i turned the engine over using the alternator bolt and it does that chugga-bounce thing so i guess two things are good so far...

the internals aren't seized. and the chugga-bounce thing tells me it at least has some compression (can feel air sucking into intake and out of exhaust).

is oil supposed to come out of the alternator housing? i think the previous owner overfilled it in an effort to keep it mobile. it looked like the oil was up to at least 3/4 the length of the dipstick (WELL above the "full" range), and about 2/3 of the way up the alternator/stator rotor thingy.
is this bad? am i going to have to replace the alternator?

yes the bike was and has been level for months (was on kick stand for a while).

·
Registered
785 Posts
Drain the oil and clean the centrifugal filter.
Fill it up with the proper amount of about 2 quarts to the line and go from there.
I would be checking for spark after the oil change.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks faster.

i'd check for spark... if i had coils.

for now i'm just doing the engine part of the tune up (cam chain adjusted, need to adjust points, and valves) until i find some coils to mount, etc.

maybe i'll clean out the oil filter tomorrow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts