Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From this....

to this........

As you can see, I'm just getting started on this. Looked for a project for years before stumbling on this at yard sale. Good title, $100. Plan is to rebuild into sort of a cafe/bobber. Long term project, I'm in no hurry. Got an HD dresser for everyday riding. Next step is to start shaving the frame of all those tabs and brackets I won't be using. Already ordered bronze swingarm bushings. Plan on tapered rollers in the neck. Already pulled all the bearing races. Clubman bars. 4.00x18s front and rear. Feel free to post any tip, tricks, part #s, suggestions. Looking for a suggestion on rear shocks, mine are rusty. Would also like to go a little shorter.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
A CL450 was my first bike. Good luck with the project and have fun. Would you want to sell the luggage rack that was on the bike when you got it? I think it might fit my CB500T daily rider.
Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow, phenomenal find dude!
$100 for a titled frame on its own would be quite the steal in my neck of the woods.
I'm going to be gussying up a '73 CL450 over the next few months, so I'll definitely have my eye on your build!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got my new swingarm bushings from Performance International/CBX Performance. They look and fit great. Next step is to order new bushings for the lower shock mounts, probably from BikeBandit. Then have the swing arm powder coated. Plan to order tapered rollers for the steering neck from All Balls and I've noticed they also have wheel bearings and fork seals. Has anyone used these parts? Are there other rebuildable parts in the front end, or upgrade or performance parts available?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Save yourself some money and buy the wheel bearings from an online bearing supplier. If you don't mind sourcing the seals from a different place.. I got mine for something like .99 cents each. So cheap that I bought a few sets. RB Tech bearings from RBI Inc..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went looking for new rims and spokes today, I had no idea they would be hard to find. Took it for granted they were shipping them over by the boatload from China. Three shops told me there's just no market for them, so no one makes them, (the rims). Haven't checked ebay yet. Mine are rusty, and the front is bent, so I was planning on just relacing new stuff to the old hubs. Guess things have changed in the 25+ years since I've done this. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Buy some old aluminum rims off of Ebay that have the same amount of holes in them and are the same diameter. No rust there..

GL rims, XS rims. Steve can recommend more options for you...

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Emailed David Silver Spares for an estimate on shipping. Really high. Just for kicks I called the Honda dealer, the rims came up as unavailable of course, but the spokes are available at 3-5 dollars apiece! That's times 80! Found another source for the rims and spokes, though. I'll post it after I talk to them on Monday. Starting to look like the wheels are going to be one priciest things on this whole project. That's probably not unusual.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
with new rims (ribbed alloys), stainless spokes, new bearings,and brakes, it is easy to put $500+ into EACH wheel..... Try Buchannons....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shoots a big hole in the budget, doesn't it? Last time I did this, (early '80s), rims were available anywhere for $30-40 apiece. I'm calling Buchanan's Monday. Looking like $500 for 2 rims and 2 spoke sets, plus shipping, powdercoating, bearings, brakes and tires. It'll definitely be the biggest single expense.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I could do that, may yet go that way, but the front is bent. Polishing wouldn't be a problem because I think I'm gonna powdercoat them black. I may dig up a used 18" for the front, sandblast and powdercoat both, then buy new s/s spoke sets from Buchanan. Probably cut the cost in half.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just looking for some opinions here. Pulled off the 20+ year old tires and bolted the wheel back on to the sliders to see how wide I could go with the front tire. Noticed the front rim is offset to the right side 1/4-1/2". Any ideas why or whether this is correct? I've got to replace the rim and spokes anyway, so I can fix it when I relace it. Also, will a 4.00x18 tire fit between these sliders?

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
I suspect you put the axle in backwards......Wheel should be exactly centered....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: 1970CB450

Is this correct? The nut goes on the side with the speedo drive? This isn't how it was when I got it, and I reassembled it the way it came to me. Must have been that way forever. Reversing the axle seems to have fixed the problem. If this is correct, it just goes to show that when you buy something used, don't assume it's correctly assembled. Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are the sprocket bushings available anywhere? Checked BikeBandit, no good. Haven't pulled mine out yet, but I will if I can find them. I'm talking about the 4 bushings pressed int the hub that the sprocket slides into.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
cl450nut said:
Are the sprocket bushings available anywhere? Checked BikeBandit, no good. Haven't pulled mine out yet, but I will if I can find them. I'm talking about the 4 bushings pressed int the hub that the sprocket slides into.
Fairly sure that Ohio Cycles has them....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts