Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brief explanation: Working on rebuilding engine, stripped engine, split cases, put everything together, put engine on bike, kicked Kickstarter, turned over, did it again, turned over, did it again, Kickstarter disengaged inside of the engine (I think the circlip was bent or not on right).
I pulled the engine, and have spent at least two full hours (maybe even 3) over the course of a few days whacking the engine to split the cases. It's upside down in a milk crate, 2x4 supports, I even bought a Wood is Good 20oz mallet from work today to see if it would help. Is there a trick to doing this? Should I use penetrating oil? Does it matter that it's kindof chilly in my shop space?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
When I split the cases and the engine upside down, there are spots where I prop the engine up with wood and tap against the upper case. A gently tap is all it should take. Work front and back evenly, and one should split open.
As above, do make sure the upper and lower bolts are out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got it. Not sure what did it, but I'd say persistence, elbowgrease, and a little bit of rage.

The circlip is bent slightly so I think it wasn't fully in the grove of the kickstart shaft/ got knocked out. Was easily able to push half of it off when I put it back on just now. Guess I'll order a new clip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts