Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have two older cb's with the cable actuated disc brakes, a 200t and a 125s.
Ive had them apart and cleaned them, etc, never realizing they were missing a bunch of ball bearings until I watched a tear down video on youtube.
The larger bearings ( I think there are six or so) are there, but the smaller ones that fit between two plates in the middle of the assembly are not. According to the video there should be about 20. Anyone know
the story here or the sizes on the ball bearings? Im planning on switching to drum brake rims but If I could get the correct bearings I would like to
see if these disc brakes would actually help stop the bike. Thanks

·
Registered
632 Posts
Do you mean the thrust bearing which is a radial needle bearing and very easy to obtain?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Properly set up the Cb125/CB200 cable operated brake is actually not bad. It's not a fantastic stopper; but it's quite adequate for the power output of both bikes.

Reactions: bilbikek411

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
I have disassembled and rebuilt these mechanical calipers before.I believe it takes 3) 7mm ball bearings and then 2) radial needle bearings and you may be able to re-use the oem/orig. thrust washers if they aren't rusted-up.I went to a good bearing house to match-up new ones after comparing/measuring the old ones;thrust washers are available also.The orig. thrust washers are cast iron which are the best but hardened steel ones can be purchased along w/ the radial needle bearings.The chances of finding a CB125S/CB200T front mechanical caliper that 'hasn't been rusted-up is very small :rolleyes: that's why so many people have found them to have such poor performance for years.. I have heard that SO much about how terrible they are over the years;people are just not used to them and don't know how to care for and adjust them,imo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Gixxer-18, I guess that must be what I am referring to. The three big ball bearings are there. The thrust bearings are just the shells with no rollers.
Do you know where I could order them or do I need to go to a bearing supplier as suggested by bilbike411?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bilbike411. Thanks for that input. I think mine are really okay besides the thrust bearings so I'm hopping I can get reasonable stopping power from them.

·
Registered
632 Posts
IMG_2097.jpg
Item 14 that's where the magic happens! You'll need to clean this item and work out what it does. Online bearing suppliers can provide the replacements you deem necessary.
Nige.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
I went to a local bearing house to have them measure/identify the types and sizes of them.I know them now(I just found the radial thrust bearings for the CB125S and they are #AXK2542-A/O-10) and would give the numbers to you as i have spares but since i just moved here to CA. from PA. I still have many things in boxes and still looking for some decent cabinets to unload my stuff..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts