Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And make sure it is routed so that it isn't pinched in any way. I thought I had mine in a good spot, but it turns out it was slightly pinched. The result was, after a day's hard riding roads around the Dragon, the seal around the clutch lifter rod blew out, and along with it, about a quart of oil by the time we got stopped. We towed it back to the Iron Horse, and I tapped the seal back in, then moved the vent tube to a better spot. What a mess!:oops:

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Rick, glad your situation didn't end disastrously. Even though my breather tube is routed just fine and not kinked anywhere, that has worried me for a while now and with my bigger bore and higher compression ratio, I figured I should do something to help avoid it. After seeing doode make one for his 350 IIRC, while I was putting my engine back together a month or so ago I decided to make a seal retention device for mine. It worked out nicely, not the most beautiful thing I've ever created out of stuff lying around, but it will do the job. I cut a side off a piece of 1" square aluminum tubing I had in my junk, cut and bent an end to keep it located at the bottom and shaped the top of it to fit in the area where the neutral switch mounts are, then drilled the hole for the clutch rod to go through. I replaced one of the neutral switch screws with a little longer 6mm bolt and it's flat up against the case and seal to keep it in place.

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/attachments/265016d1537399507-what-did-you-do-your-twin-week-20180917_135722.jpg

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seal retainers are sounding better all the time
Especially considering how easy it is to pull that seal out for replacement, with only a small hook. It seems it wouldn't take much increase in pressure to blow it out. My vent tube wasn't closed off, just pinched part way, but that was clearly enough. I'm now considering my own retainer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts