Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new battery tender, and have been doing some research. It seems that the "Deltran Battery Tender" brand is a pretty good option, but I can't seem to get any firm info on if the JR model is good at the $25 or if it is best to bump up to the $60 1.25 amp model.

Figured I would make a thread as I didn't see one dedicated here, and see what you all are using and what you recommend.

Thanks for your time guys!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
IDK about your battery, but mine is only a 12 AH one - at 1.25 amp, that's not a tender, it's a charger. My (uneducated) vote would be for the "junior."

Regards,

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
If looking at others, you want the word "maintainer", or "automatic charger" and not charger. Maintainer can be left attached without overcharging battery, a plain charger will need to be disconnected after it is charged.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
An automatic charger will bring a battery up to a full charge level and then monitor the charge level and add energy as needed. A tender will measure the voltage level and keep it at that level without increasing it.
I have installed a pigtail on my 450 for a Harbour Freight $5.98 tender. When I filled my battery with acid, it measured about 12.4 volts. I left my Harbour Freight $24.95 automatic charger on it overnight. It brought the battery up to 12.7v. Then it sat for two weeks. It didn't drop in voltage. Then I put the tender on for a couple of weeks and it still measured 12.7 volts, with the tender on or off. Then I put the automatic charger on for a week and it brought the battery up to 13v.
It is interesting to watch the voltage when the charger is on. The charger will give it a blast of 13.7 up to 14.7 and then drop to the battery voltage and the go up to the charge voltage. It goes back and forth, I assume it is charging and then cycles to a check voltage. At some point I think it will drop to a maintenance voltage.
I think the difference between an automatic charger and a tender is: the tender will keep the battery at the same voltage as when it is hooked up and an automatic charger will take the battery up to a predetermined voltage and keep it there.
One more data point, I have two deep cycle RV batteries I keep in the garage for power outages. Both are kept on automatic chargers, one is the HF, the other is an expensive Sears Alstate. Both are several years old and are in good shape.
So what does all of this mean? IDK... but I believe the $5.98 HF tender will be fine.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I agree with JamesPal. Why spend more than $5.98 when really all you are doing is something to keep the battery alive without doing any work.
With the HF charger, just plug it in on a morning of your choice, then unplug it that same night. Do it every 2 weeks. Then spend the 20$ plus difference on whatever pleases you.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I checked the battery voltage yesterday. With the HF tender on for the last few days, the battery now measures 12.68v. Battery Univerity says a fully ch as red lead acid battery should measure 12.7 volts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all this feed back on the topic folks. This has been exactly the info I was hoping to get. Cheers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts