Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 500T battery drains if the bike is left unused for over a week and I am not sure if it is the battery failing or a leak in the wiring.
If, with all switches off, I disconnect the positive lead from the battery and measure voltage between the positive battery terminal and the positive lead there is no reading. If I measure resistance between the positive wire and the negative battery wires I get a reading of 5000 ohm. To my thinking that is a leak?
Before I start pulling things apart I thought I would ask if anyone can confirm that there should or should not be any resistance reading between the positive and negative battery wires with the switches off?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
If your meter has an AMP reading set it to that and measure from the postive battery terminal to the positive cable, off the terminal of course. If it reads ANYTHING you have a leak.
Good advice, except I would use the negative terminal; safer that way, as you are less likely to create sparks.

·
Super Moderator
9,715 Posts
Most multimeters with an "Amp" setting are only capable of a fraction of 1 amp (probably specified as some number of miliamperes (1/1000 of an amp). Easily fried.

If you disconnect one cable from the battery (preferably the ground cable) then connect your voltmeter between the battery post and the cable you should read zero volts if there is no drain/load. If you read 12 volts you have a drain.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys, I get no reading between the battery and the lead, amp or volt, but do get a resistance reading of 5000 ohm between the two leads, which I find odd. The bike runs well and charges the battery so I will just keep an eye on it.
Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had another look at this ... First I removed the fuses one at a time and measured resistance ... No difference. Turned the ignition switch right through the different positions from lock to park lights a few times, that fixed it. There is no resistance reading between the leads now.
Will dismantle and clean and inspect the switch.
What fun these old machines are always something to do! :D

1 - 6 of 5 Posts