Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im hoping someone can assist me.

After replacing my tail light and indicators on my 75 CB360 I was very stoked to ride it. After about 30 miles i noticed the turn signal weren't working. then the engine died as if the battery went dead. I pulled over and started it after giving it a rest for 3 minutes...it fired up and I rode it home a mile away. Three days later and fired it up and all lights were working. Today I ride it for about 2 miles then I noticed the turn signals died on me. And then the power went dead and then the engine. It fired up after giving a rest but as soon as i turn on the headlight it dies. I wait about 10 minutes and then its recharged but then dies and doesnt idle.

Im assuming it has someting to do with battery or the charging system because none of the lights are working. It seem that it will charge after giving it a rest but then dies shortly after.

Im a nubee so any advice would be of great assistance. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
dtron said:
Im hoping someone can assist me.

After replacing my tail light and indicators on my 75 CB360 I was very stoked to ride it. After about 30 miles i noticed the turn signal weren't working. then the engine died as if the battery went dead. I pulled over and started it after giving it a rest for 3 minutes...it fired up and I rode it home a mile away. Three days later and fired it up and all lights were working. Today I ride it for about 2 miles then I noticed the turn signals died on me. And then the power went dead and then the engine. It fired up after giving a rest but as soon as i turn on the headlight it dies. I wait about 10 minutes and then its recharged but then dies and doesnt idle.

Im assuming it has someting to do with battery or the charging system because none of the lights are working. It seem that it will charge after giving it a rest but then dies shortly after.

Im a nubee so any advice would be of great assistance. Thanks
It sounds to me like you have a good battery but a bad charging system, either the regulator/rectifier or the alternator. Batteries that are in good shape will recover slightly when they are run down. In this case, the brake lights, headlight and/or turn signals are running the battery down.

Check the voltage of the battery before you start it and then after have it running. If it's 12v before start you should see it jump to about 13.2 - 13.8v or so.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I suppose it could also be a short between the ignition switch and your new electrical components. Meaning the short is only active and draining the battery/charging system when only when power is switched on.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
While I suspect Mike is correct about the charging system, sometimes an older battery is "dead' to the point it will only take a "surface charge" (giving similar symptoms)...
To be sure, you need to check the output of your charging system (both AC and DC).
The proceedure is the same as for the 450's and 350's...and has been posted before.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the resp
onse. I will check the battery voltage first and see if its charging. If its not then I will move on the the checking the rectifier and regulator.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the battery seems to be okay but charging may be an issue according to my tester. I tried checking the rectifier with a multimeter but Im not sure Im doing it right cause im not getting a reading. Sorry for the extreme nubee questions but Im not at all mechanical or in this case "electrical". Can some me give me "checking the rectifier for dummies" lessons. Much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Check across each diode by putting + lead on one wire and - lead on the other, then reverse the +/- positions..... You should get a continuity reading in one direction, but not in the reverse direction.... Check Y to R, Y to G, P to R, P to G..........

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[attachment=0:yzirxa5v]multimeter.jpg[/attachment:yzirxa5v]Thanks for the help. I believe that is what i did but I still didn't get a reading. If Im not getting a reading does that mean the rectifier is defective. It its defective would the bike still start up and ride for a bit or would it not start up at all?

I attached a pic of the multimeter that I use. Im not sure what setting Im suppose to use but maybe someone can help. I know...I know.....i dont know $h3t. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Well, I can't say whether or not you know S%$t or not but if that's the setting the meter was on then I do know that you don't know how to use a multimeter. :)

Set the meter on the 20K setting then do the checks that Steve mentioned. With the leads measuring the first direction it should read a very high resistance or "open" and when you switch the leads it should read a low number or almost a "short". Nice looking meter though, it's even got a transistor and diode checker. You don't see those around much anymore.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I have the meter on 20k. Black lead is touching the green wire and red lead on the red wire..... Still no reading. Meter just stays at one. Sorry I'm waisting your with this but I don't wanna spend another $$$$$$$ together this fix. I at least would like to know what is causing the problem. If there's no reading is the rectifier busted?

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Reverse the colors positions... that was probably "I" for infinite resistance (open)...It should read something different the other direction..... RED to Green is reading through two diodes... read as I told you......One diode at a time....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I've tried everything that was I wad instructed but I'm still not getting a reading from my multimeter when checking the rectifier. Now this might be a dumb question but would I need to unscrew the rectifier from the bike to test it or can I leave it on?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Whatever you do. Do NOT disconnect the rectifier while the bike is running. It'll fry it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So does that mean I should analyze the rectifier when its not attached to the bike? Does it matter?

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
dtron said:
So does that mean I should analyze the rectifier when its not attached to the bike? Does it matter?
You can leave it on the bike but I'm assuming you performed the checks outlined by Steve with the rectifer plug disconnected.

If you have an "open" when checking the connection even when you swap the leads then that indicates you have an bad rectifier assuming you're using the meter correctly.

Rather than try to track down a stock replacement, contact these guys and get a nice, plug in, replacement.

This is my favorite since I've done business with him and had great email service and prompt shipping.
http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/rectifiers.html

http://www.rickystator.com/catalog/prod ... ucts_id=88

http://hondarectifiers.com/

http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/Honda-135

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
The rectifier can be still attached to the frame/battery box, and presumably, you unplugged it to test connect to the wires.....
Try this...What does your meter (set to 20K) read when the leads are touched to each other?...Should be 0.00.... What do they read when NOT connected to (touching) anything?... Should read "I" or infinate....
IF they read 0.00 in both directions, the diodes are shorted and that's the charging problem, you need a rectifier...Same goes if you get an infinate (open) reading in both directions.........
(for example Red lead on red wire, black lead on [email protected] setting, mine reads "I", and when I switch to Red lead to the yellow wire, black lead to red wire, it reads 4.03 ..... Red lead to pink, black lead on red wire reads 4.05.... reversed reads "I" or infinate..... etc, etc.....

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Here are all my readings....(on a 360 rectifier)
meter leads touching......reads 0.00, Meter leads open ...reads "I" (infinate or open)
Red meter lead to red wire; Black lead to any other color ...reads "I"
Black lead to red wire; Red lead to yellow... reads 4.03
Red lead to Pink.......reads 4.05
Red to Green ..........reads 9.72

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you all for the detailed instructions. I will reanalyze the rectifier when I get home from work as instructed. I believe I initially did it as noted by many of you and I was getting a reading of "I" no matter what the lead was touching (g,r,p,) In that case, from what I've read here, I need to replace my rectifier. I will double check and reanalyze.
Thanks again. I will post my results tonight

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So this is the reading I get no matter what the black or red leads touch (red, green, yellow, pink) when Im on the 20k setting as shown. Im assuming it time to order a new rectifier. Should I also check the stator?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts