Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to put this? I was at a swap meet/ show this weekend and picked up this little Honda single for the right price of $80. I looked at this cause I want a Honda of my birth year, 1961. The PO said he thought it was a 68 but was not sure out of sheer curiosity i asked how much he wanted, His response was $100. I walked away for the time being as the show had just started and since I had my Bobber in the show I would be there all day. Throughout the day I would walk by to see if it was gone, about an hour before the awards were announced I stopped and made a $75 offer and we came to an agreement of $80. I'm not finding much info about this little thing online. I have not found 1 yellow Honda 50 listing any where and I'm sure the paint is original, It also only has 072.4 miles on the clock. Hoping to get some help here. IMG_1246.jpg IMG_1254.jpg IMG_1253.jpg Thanks

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Not sure where to put this? I was at a swap meet/ show this weekend and picked up this little Honda single for the right price of $80. I looked at this cause I want a Honda of my birth year, 1961. The PO said he thought it was a 68 but was not sure out of sheer curiosity i asked how much he wanted, His response was $100. I walked away for the time being as the show had just started and since I had my Bobber in the show I would be there all day. Throughout the day I would walk by to see if it was gone, about an hour before the awards were announced I stopped and made a $75 offer and we came to an agreement of $80. I'm not finding much info about this little thing online. I have not found 1 yellow Honda 50 listing any where and I'm sure the paint is original, It also only has 072.4 miles on the clock. Hoping to get some help here. Thanks
It seems the only years for the C110 in the US are from late '60 to '62 but of the 4 colors mentioned, yellow is not one of them. Not sure the paint is original as the Honda ID Guide shows white fuel tank and side covers along with the 4 frame/body color choices of white, blue, red and black. Looks like the frame number doesn't help with the specific year either, as this was before the "K" designations for each model change. Is the engine OHC or pushrod (OHV)? According to the Guide, it should be OHC

C110.jpg

·
Registered
169 Posts
IMG_4847.jpg Cool find! I have a few of those set up as vintage roadracers. Very early ones were 3 speed. Easy way to tell is if the spark plug wire goes into the engine (very early), or up into the body where the coil is on later bikes. Happy to help if I can!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ancientdad, c110 is pushrod engine. That guide is mistaken. The SS50 was OHC but not imported to USA. Last year for c110 was 1966.

Yellow is repaint, plastic and body color were the same. I expect that bike was black.

CB Jamie, if you decide to go a different route I would buy that from you.

I unde stand the Birth Year thing-- I have a 1955 Triumph Cub and. 1955 Puch 250.

Have fun!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Ancientdad, c110 is pushrod engine. That guide is mistaken. The SS50 was OHC but not imported to USA.

Yellow is repaint, plastic and body color were the same. I expect that bike was black.
My suspicion was that it was pushrod as well. My first bike was a C102 that was pushrod and we swapped it into a C110 frame later that had a pushrod engine previously. I've not found many things debatable in that Guide, it's a factory Honda publication but typos can happen in any era, for sure.

Honda ID Guide.jpg Honda ID Guide back.jpg

I will say that I do remember the white tank and sidecovers with the red, blue or black frame back then though (but never yellow)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Tom, you are correct on the side covers, I was wrong! I have seen white on black and red c110s. But the headlight shell,front fender shock covers were body color on c110. All c100/102/105 Except blue had white sidecovers and legshields.

Very early c100/c102 also had a light blue front fender that matched the light blue knee guards and side covers on the dark blue painted bikes ( headlight case same color as paint). I am not sure if that combination was imported to US.

Now, could be the yellow c110 was a none USA model brought in by a service man or from Canada--other parts of the world had different colors available. But-----most bikes from other countries, including Canada came w stock blinkers but not USA. This bike has the rubber blinker hole covers that came on USA bikes.

Mysteries are fun!

Jack

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ancientdad, c110 is pushrod engine. That guide is mistaken. The SS50 was OHC but not imported to USA. Last year for c110 was 1966.

CB Jamie, if you decide to go a different route I would buy that from you.

I unde stand the Birth Year thing-- I have a 1955 Triumph Cub and. 1955 Puch 250.

Have fun!
I really think the Yellow is original there is no other color under the yellow. Could be an import but the speedo is in MPH.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its a push rod motor.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would this be a C110 or a CA110 model?

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Google "Postie Bikes", lots of info out there.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got a chance to look over the bike this evening and i can say the yellow is 100% original, the inside of the frame and under the petcock on the tank are yellow and there is no other color anywhere under the yellow. View attachment 232289 View attachment 232297 IMG_1265.jpg IMG_1267.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well, the color is a mystery for sure. I still do not think it is factory as I have NEVER seen a c110 that has the top triple, or handle bar clamp lower, painted. They are plain aluminum. That said I would love to be proven wrong.

My thought is that 50 years ago it was painted yellow to be a Shriner parade bike. Common practice for them.

This will be fun to figure out!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If it were repainted it would have original color under the yellow and you would not think anyone would get all the over spray to cover the original color inside the frame and on the undersides. Not saying I couldn't be wrong, but i feel this was factory yellow. Would really like to know. I have not had the chance to see if the wiring harness year tag is there. The coil wire goes into the body so it must be a later model. The investigation continues!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I did some quick research and can find no mention of Yellow bikes, though I did find "Columbian Blue", which is kinda like teal. Not a USA color. Also all brochures show the bottom handlebar clamp in natural aluminum.

Is the inside of the chain guard also yellow?

It is fun trying to sort this out. Thanks!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes chain guard is all yellow. Yea its fun, I'm really intrigued by the color of this bike.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I wrote to a fellow I know that is a Shriner and collects Shriner bikes. He may know of a group that used that color. Even if factory I would expect the headlight case, front fender and shocks to be the same yellow as the paint. That is the oddest thing. I will let you know if I hear back from the Shriner.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I'd be curious to know how it came to be yellow myself (if the color turns out to be factory-done), might be an interesting story as to where it came from. You could try a little paint remover in a small spot to see if there's anything underneath that is tougher (like factory paint)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd be curious to know how it came to be yellow myself (if the color turns out to be factory-done), might be an interesting story as to where it came from. You could try a little paint remover in a small spot to see if there's anything underneath that is tougher (like factory paint)
I did some light sanding on the lower edge of the chain guard and there is no other color under the yellow. As the pics show the inside of the frame is also the same yellow. no other color to be found on this bike.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts