Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late 60's early 70's Honda CB CL SL 350 450 twin cam chain tensioner adjustment tutorial.

Honda 350 450 twin timing advance unit inspection and repair tutorial. Everything is right but bike won't run or no air leaks and your bike still won't idle down? This will fix it.

Set dual points ignition on a Honda twin, CB350, CL350, SL350, CB450, CL450 . Instructional Tutorial

Honda CB350 valve adjustment procedure. A technique to adjust valves without a feeler gauge with a warm engine without removing tappet covers. can be done on the following late 60's early 70's Models CB450, CL450, CB500T, CB350, CL350, SL350

·
Registered
866 Posts
Well the valve stuff goes against everything I have done or read about but im curious. After did you check with a feeler to see if they were in manual specs?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The valve adjustment routine is an excellent way to get them too tight and end up with burned valves. I would NEVER do this.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This valve adjusting technique for adjusting works very well, especially for cb450 and CB500T engines, if done correctly. (If you have done a few, you'll understand ) If your a rookie mechanic,I wouldn't recommend it. The advantage is that on older engines with some miles on them, setting them to spec does not always work well because of wear points on some of the parts, like on the top of the valve stem which will get a small dent in it. Now when you to set your valve clearance to spec, with a cold engine and how much drag you think that feeler gage should have, its just not that accurate because it will vary from person to person. This technique lets you hear if its too loose (ticking) or if its to tight (the engine slow down) and its doing this at operating temperature so the clearances you set are clearances you get when its running. Remember you want to set them as loose as possible without making any noise. If your worried about the wrong clearance, wait till the engine is cooled down and check them again with engine cold and a feeler gage. I think you'll be surprised. I added a picture of my 1966 cb450 speedometer it had 87000 miles on it when I sold it. That how I tuned it for years.
DSCF7727.jpg DSCF7727.jpg

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I agree worn parts make a 450 valve job frustrating. To spend hours setting them perfect and rechecking and finding they're off from what you though, or they're fine here but 1/4 turn the cam and they're closed up. Never occurred that the orientation of a beveled tip is another spot that adds up. I think I'll give it a try and check em after a ride. My valve train isn't perfect but it's pretty good, and better than a lot I've seen. Thanks for posting, Nut.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
reply to longdistancerider

The method works well if done it correctly, I have had quite a few of these bikes and put a lot of miles on them over the years and never had a problem. If your worried about it, set clearances that way, then pull the tappet cover caps and check the clearance. You would have to do that anyway if you use the factory method. This method of setting valve clearances is a big time saver and a lot less hassle if your working on a CB450, CL450 and CB500T. Some of the early valve clearance specs were to tight on early honda 350s 450s so honda did a revision on the clearance spec. I just like to tune my bike where it seems happiest to perform for me and thought I would share it, thats all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts