Honda Twins banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Lorne I have to say... you have to be one of the coolest bike people on the planet, I could have said coolest woman but I think you are cooler than that. I, like everyone else is, in awe of your work and creativity. Great bike thanks for sharing it with us. I would say I have to wonder where you were when I was 30 years younger and single... but since my wife puts up with about anything I do I cannot complain!! Keep doing what you do, you obviously enjoy it and are very good at it. Thank you again for sharing it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Thanks for that.

My next hurdle was that the CB fuel tap had a duel outlet and now I needed just one. The outlet sizes were wrong for the XR carb too.
The XR fuel tap was simple and worked great, but it attached to the tank differently.

So 1st drained all the fuel out, flushed it with water, then put washing detergent and water in it and shook the **** out of it, then drained it again.
I made a mounting plate for the XR fuel tap and welded it onto the CB tank outlet.
[attachment=2:12p2jf3e]IMG_2913.JPG[/attachment:12p2jf3e]

Now I had to deal with the air cleaner issue. With the inlet manifold being a bit too long, and the oil tank where it is, means that room at the inlet of the carb is limited.
Until I make a new inlet manifold, this is what's going to have to do.
I bought a stainless steel sieve for about 2bucks, cut the mesh out
[attachment=1:12p2jf3e]IMG_2914.JPG[/attachment:12p2jf3e]
and hose clamped it on. It'll stop anything from getting in there that could do any damage.
[attachment=0:12p2jf3e]IMG_2933.JPG[/attachment:12p2jf3e]

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Next up was the exhaust system.

I wanted to use the original XR system which was twin stainless steel pipes, but it just wasn't going to look clean enough. Too much cutting and bending to get it through the rear of the bike and the muffler wasn't going to sit in a good position.

So I had to made my own.

I'm a race car chassis builder, so have access to state of the art mandrel bending equipment with dies that have various radii.

I grabbed some 1.250" chrome moly tubing and got to work. Relatively straight forward, but tight near the back wheel and chain. I could see straight through the original CB mufflers, so I guess they would flow alright.
I played around with having one on each side, two together, both pipes merging into one.
In the end this is how it ended.
[attachment=1:1gyocrex]IMG_2928.jpg[/attachment:1gyocrex]
[attachment=0:1gyocrex]IMG_2929.jpg[/attachment:1gyocrex]

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Well it's been back on the road for about a week.

INSANE! Is the only word to describe it.

It's so much lighter to ride. Tips into corners really easily. On the way out, just wind on the throttle and it'll carry the front wheel as far as your balls will allow.
With the low gearing, it makes the most of 1st and 2nd. You can wind 2nd on and the same, it'll carry the front wheel into 3rd and beyond(I assume, my balls are very small.)

Ha ha.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I just put on a flat slide carb off a crf450 motocrosser. A Keihin FCR MX 39mm

It's completely transformed the bike.

Soooo much more power. It's wants to lift the front while it's spinning up the rear tyre.
Idles perfect, and has such a nicer throttle action. Really smooth and progressive.
It's a bit rich so more power still hiding with some jetting changes.

Best ebay purchase so far.

Stoked!!!!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
In this pic It's got a 2" internal spacer.

I've since fitted a billet triple clamp. That also lowered the bike 3/4". I now have 1 1/4 internal spacers in it to get that overall 2" drop

Cheers

61 - 73 of 73 Posts