Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I am late getting this posted, I thought it would have been done already. My Fault.

A Yearly function @ Barber Motorsports Museum in Leeds, Alabama (Just outside of Birmingham)

An enormous collection of motorcycles inside, Vendors come in and set up tents on the grounds, there are lots of activities.

I an going (taking my Daughter and my Dad) and there are some of the SOHC4 members going also. Like to meet up with anyone who might be able to make it, at such late notice.

Here's a link, if anyone IS interested:

http://barbervintagefestival.org/

·
Registered
275 Posts
Steve-- Hope you come-- you'll get to see your freshly installed triple trees in action!!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOZERD said:
I'm entered-- come visit me! #628 Lightweight Production (red numbers on a white plate). I've been invited to pit with some side car folks, top tier of the pits.

07/24/10 Beaverun motorsports cmplx by wozerd, on Flickr

Looking GOOD there guy! Listen, I'd like to swap cell numbers and look you up down there, be cool to actually meet up with someone from here. I'll only be there mainly for Saturday though, got too many irons in the fire and had to do some wrangling to swing this trip.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'll look for ya in the pits wozard.

Anyone know anything about the usual early saturday morning breakfast and ride around the country side ?????

·
Registered
68 Posts
I will be there. Camping in lot C and hanging out in the pits with the WERA GP350/V1 racers mostly.

The Saturday morning Pancake breakfast is with the VJMC folks over on the left side of the main road right after you pass through the main gates. It is just before you round the corner to the swapmeet area and on the opposite side of the compound from the Pits and Pit entry area.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Bob.... Have you 'road tested" them yet?... Should steer a LOT quicker with them on......

·
Registered
275 Posts
66Sprint said:
Bob.... Have you 'road tested" them yet?... Should steer a LOT quicker with them on......

Nope-- not yet. I probably should-- at least-- run it down the road but, I'm going to meet up with Matt from Racetech on Thursday and he is putting in new springs and setting it up for me. So, no oil or safety wire til then.

I dropped the 450 trees 10mm and it made a huge--HUGE difference! Darn thing would not hold a line. I can't tell you how many times my eyes bulged out of their sockets in my first three races watching the edge of the track come at me on the exit of a turn. Flames shooting off my pegs (production class requires stock peg location) and toe sliders trying to get it leaned over enough to make the corner. Just that 10mm improved that 50%.
Now, with the reduced rake, I'm hoping it will be 100% better without giving up travel and ground clearance.
Add to that I got an immaculate set of 1977 CB550 forks for $10.50 off E-Bay with way more sophisticated internals and-- I'm hoping I can stay up front. I would lead the race for a lap or two but have my main competition (a 32 year old "kid" named Matt) sneak under me. I can reel his very built SL350 back in on the straights but he would always get me in the tight stuff. If I can hold a tighter line, , I'm sure I can beat him.
The forks were a real find. Every set I looked at were badly rusted between the triple clamps-- some even on the slider area and, people were asking at least $49.00. Then, they wanted $30.00 and up for shipping. I saw a set get bidded up to $165.00!! With rust!!!!! I was amazed at what I got. These NEVER had rust on them. There is no sign of wire wheel or emory cloth, sand paper or even steel wool. I used a magnifying glass looking for fine scratches-- none!! I sprayed the legs with that Mar-Hyde paint remover and buffed em on my buffer-- they shine like mirrors!! I really lucked out! I was so amazed I even checked the tubes to make sure they weren't bent-- seemed to good to be true!! I cleaned everything internally to near surgical room perfection, installed new seals and dust wipers, drilled the drain plugs (for safety wire) and they are ready to go sans oil.

Now, those trees-- that's another story! I had to have the steer stops welded up to reduce the travel lock to lock (rules say must have minimum one inch clearance between riders hand on the grips and gas tank or any other part of the bike).
I decided to give the local auto repair guys about a mile down the road some business. They have a sign up that says-- "we now do welding". I walk in to two guys lounging in the "office". They looked like slovenly versions of "Dumb and Dumber". When they opened there mouths, it only verified it. I told them what I wanted-- a bead of weld, about 5mm (I used 3/8" for them) thick on each stop. The next question from them was-- "what's that off of"? I considered telling them it was off a CAT bulldozer but-- told them it was off a Honda motorcycle. Their response made me involuntarily pass gas. The one guy said: "Oh! you can't weld that, it'll fall apart. That's that cheap Jap pot metal". I stood there, stupefied, mouth hanging open, gas flying out my sphincter, just in awe at the ignorance I was in the presence of. I thought about it for a second, decided that even if I could convince them of their incorrect assessment-- did I really want them touching anything I owned? UH-NO!
I turned and walked out-- without saying a word. I was probably a mile away before I could say anything.
Next stop, another local shop-- a muffler shop. "Sure-- no problem, have it for you tomorrow!". Great I think. I'm walking out the door and I think-- better ask-- how much-- "less than $400.00"? I quip. "Oh ya, $399.00" the owner quips back and I keep walking. But, then, burned before, I decide-- better make sure. "No, really, what will you charge me" I turn back and ask. "Forty bucks" is the quote. More gas flys out my sphincter. $40.00?? Hey, I believe in profit but-- 40 bucks? I tried to give the locals some money because last time, I took it to Custom Way welding (very professional place) and they charged me $28.00. I asked the owner-- "seriously"? He said, "yup, why, how much did you expect?" I told him twenty and he said he'd have that much in materials. Wow! Dumb and Dumbers smarter, rip off artists, cousin! I head to Custom Way. This time, they only charged me $18.00 plus tax. Job done.
I sprayed the aluminum top tree with paint remover and found a big difference in the finish compared to the top tree off the 69/70 model. Instead of the nicely finished casting of the older models, the later ones are rough with only a few whacks from the grinder to remove the flashing. The grind marks were course with no attempt to make them smooth. I guess Honda decided to save a few steps and just paint it. I went to work with my Dremel and 400 grit paper then hit it with the buffer. Looks pretty good-- I'll get some pics up after Barber.
Lower tree back from welder, stops equalized and made to look nice with a file and painted with, first, Rust-Oleum gloss gray and, then, just as it was tacky (stuff takes hours to dry), a final coat of Duplicolor bright silver wheel system paint. Makes it look like bead blasted aluminum.
ALL BALLS installed and forks done, it's all going on today. I'm discarding the original CB450 fender and installing JeyLux's CL fender. I have to make some mods due to the disc brake but, it'll look a lot better than that dented, bent, fender that's on there now.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Bob, technically, the inset 500/550 trees change the "Trail", not the "Rake"......Rake is the neck angle relative to the horizontal (ground) ...You did reduce the rake when you lowered the old trees on the forks, which is why I asked about a road test.... Those should give you back your original ground clearance height and stock rake, but still be more "willing" to "flick" or "dive" into a turn than the stockers..... The bike WILL feel and turn a good bit differently though, so take a few slower laps to get accustomed to the new turn apex points......
I'm dying to hear what you think about your bike's steering with them on......I'd have had the old tubes/forks in them for a "test' already, but I tend to be impatient when racing (Which is why I no longer race)..... :D :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
275 Posts
66Sprint said:
Bob, technically, the inset 500/550 trees change the "Trail", not the "Rake"......Rake is the neck angle relative to the horizontal (ground) ...You did reduce the rake when you lowered the old trees on the forks, which is why I asked about a road test.... Those should give you back your original ground clearance height and stock rake, but still be more "willing" to "flick" or "dive" into a turn than the stockers..... The bike WILL feel and turn a good bit differently though, so take a few slower laps to get accustomed to the new turn apex points......
I'm dying to hear what you think about your bike's steering with them on......I'd have had the old tubes/forks in them for a "test' already, but I tend to be impatient when racing (Which is why I no longer race)..... :D :lol: :lol:

Procrastination is my middle name!!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Whewwww.....thread hijack !

Okay..to get the thread back on track......I wrote Tom Kolenko VJMC asking for details of the Saturday morning breakfast ride; i.e. place and time to meet.

MidTNJasonF: The place you write of is just the VJMC motorcycle display area. I suppose if you get there Friday you can get the information from someone there.

If Tom writes me back with details I'll post them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
RicH2 said:

Okay..to get the thread back on track......I wrote Tom Kolenko VJMC asking for details of the Saturday morning breakfast ride; i.e. place and time to meet.

MidTNJasonF: The place you write of is just the VJMC motorcycle display area. I suppose if you get there Friday you can get the information from someone there.

That is where the breakfast always is. They cook and serve there at the tents next to the display area. At least that is where it has been the last 5 or 6 years. I think it is 7 or 7:30 to 9ish in the morning on Saturday. The line can get pretty long so plan on showing early.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm jealous. I hope you all have a great time!

·
Registered
659 Posts
MidTNJasonF said:
RicH2 said:

That is where the breakfast always is. They cook and serve there at the tents next to the display area. At least that is where it has been the last 5 or 6 years. I think it is 7 or 7:30 to 9ish in the morning on Saturday. The line can get pretty long so plan on showing early.

No no no no....we're talking about two different things i think. I'm talking about a meet up in the Barber museum parking lot (you don't have to go through the gates of the vintage event). It cost something like 40 dollars that goes to charity. At 0800 they take a short ride out through the country-side to an open area cafe place where they have a breakfast buffet. I think the place is called 29 Dreams. Then we take a long ride out through the country-side returning to Barbers. Maybe it's not the VJMC that sponsors it.....

·
Registered
68 Posts
RicH2 said:
MidTNJasonF said:
RicH2 said:

No no no no....we're talking about two different things i think. I'm talking about a meet up in the Barber museum parking lot (you don't have to go through the gates of the vintage event). It cost something like 40 dollars that goes to charity. At 0800 they take a short ride out through the country-side to an open area cafe place where they have a breakfast buffet. I think the place is called 29 Dreams. Then we take a long ride out through the country-side returning to Barbers. Maybe it's not the VJMC that sponsors it.....
Ahh ok sorry for the confusion. I wonder what they are doing this year, 29 Dreams went bankrupt and closed not too long ago.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Drat ! I didn't know 29Dreams was closed. Doesn't seem like not having a place to eat would matter but I can't find anything about such a ride happening this year.

Oh well, my girl and i might just come up with our own ride early Saturday morning. Anyone interested please chime in.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I will be there with my dad Saturday and Sunday. On Sat I will have my DTT shirt on with my name (Flüg) on the front so keep an eye out for me. I would love to meet you guys and thank you for all the help I've received here.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Man, I was there on Saturday with my Dad and my Daughter and only got to meet up with Gordon (Ilbikes) and talk to another SOHC4 member John (jtb) for a bit. I was hoping to meet some SOHC4 guys and IF I'd have seen the activity on this thread and known, it would have been cool to meet up with you all as well. Too bad, because it WOULD be nice to get more acquainted. Guess I got sidetracked and missed the later posts here.

Well, I'm planning on going next year, for the WHOLE weekend and just MAYBE I can get to meet up with folks THEN. ;)

AWESOME event too, BTW. Bill

·
Registered
68 Posts
I will post up a link to my photo album from the event and a few extra camera phone shots. I had a great time but did not get to meet as many people as I had hoped.

http://www.turnthewheel.com/Photos/Albums/2010BarberVintageFestival/index.html

Ohio Cafe Racer bike. Got to chat for just a minute with him before his Saturday race.

Another Honda 350 racer getting ready.

My riding partners for the weekend.

Randoms

·
Registered
659 Posts
My first time to see the Wall of Death !
It was a hoot. Absolutely freaky. Well worth the time and every penny I spent to see it !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts