Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen where people will drill into the rubber mount to the engine and add a port, but I don't want to do that.

Do any of you know if these balancers would work on a motorcycle? This is what my friend uses on his british cars.

You stuff it tight into the carb at idle and it'll pull a vacuum reading without restricting air flow too much.

Can you just use a piece of 1/4" fuel line stuck in your ear like a stethoscope to pitch match them? That's how I set the SU carbs on my Austin Healey since I'm too cheap for the abovementioned tool. This is the first motorcycle I've had with carbs you can't hook up to a manometer.

I have the throttle stop screws set so they both pull off at exactly the same time. The bike seems to be running fine, but the idle is set at about 2.5k and I want to bring it down while keeping things balanced out.

Also, I've got the pilot circuit adjustment screws set to 1 1/8th turn out. I think I read it somewhere in one of the posted service manuals. However, another service manual states 3/4 turn from seated +/- 1/8th turn, so maybe I'm a bit rich at idle?

I'll be analyzing the spark plug condition at idle and at a WOT shut off situation to see if it's rich or lean.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a CL350 so you can't even feel for differences at the pipe ends like the book says. I asked my mechanic about the ports in the boots and he thought it had high potential for unwanted leakage.
He told me that he points a digital heat sensor at the cylinders ( not sure of the exact aim) and balances them by temperature. Need to ask him more specifics.
I actually posted a while back on this to see if anyone else was doing it but got no response.

Edy

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An infrared thermometer is something I've been meaning to get ahold of for years.

I guess that's one way to balance them accounting for the condition of the valves and everything. I'd want to know a valid reference temperature to determine what is rich and what is lean, but I bet that'd be hard to come by.

I will probably give my old pitch test a try. Just stick a fuel line hose in the carb at idle and listen to the hiss and match it up with the other one.

I did read that people hold their hands over the ends of the mufflers to feel the pressure, but that's not reliable in my case because both of my mufflers are somewhat rotted at the ends and have different sized openings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts