Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my right side cover off on my 82 cm450e and I’m trying to reinstall the stopped plate. The over one spline method has gone out the window since I just dropped it when taking it off lol. Am I just looking to have it auto adjust to the center of the groove?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I don't understand what you mean with "gone out the window.." (lack of english on my side)

Losen the 8mm bolt and it will auto adjust. The small dot (punch mark) has to be between 9 and 3 o'clock. Mine is at around 1 o'clock. If the stud bolt contacts the groove at the end of the left side you need to reposition the stopper plate. If so, lift it out and put it back. Should you put it back so the bolt is centered or to the right side of the groove?
The manual doesn't say anything about keeping it centered. When the chain gets longer you need to tighten it by losen the bolt and since the stopper plate needs margin to the left you should in my mind put it back so the bolt is on the right side of the groove for better margin. I wouldn't force it to get it all the way to the right if the position naturally wants to be more centered but you'll notice how the splines are going to line up. This is just what I think is right.

The photo shows that the stopper plate has to be repositoned (CM400T)

BCA2.jpg

·
Registered
234 Posts
My Honda manual says nothing about centering the stopper plate like he says in that thread and he couldn't reposition the plate any further than to the middle and that's why he shouldn't overtighten it by forcing it and move it more like I wrote above. Leave it inte the middle if it wants to be there naturally.
But if there is a reason to center it rather than move it as much as you can without forcing it I wonder why the Honda manual doesn't say anything about it.

Untitled.jpg

·
Registered
805 Posts
I don't think it matters too much if you don't get it perfectly centered, it gets locked in place by the nut anyway. As long as you let the spring adjust to where it wants to be, it doesn't matter how you put the spline as long as the adjuster is not tightened to get it on.

Out the window means no chance it will work, so here's what I'd do: put it on somewhere near where you remember. If you turn it the wrong way it will hit a hard stop, that is way too tight. Figure that out first and then only turn it the right way so that the spring does it's job (looser in the manual). If you put it on, turn it the right way and it springs back you're close. If it springs back but the splined bit prevents it turning as far as it wants to go you want to move it one spline over so that when you turn it looser, it springs back and stops somewhere in the middle of the adjustment. If you get it too tight you will turn it the right way and it will hit the adjuster before the spring is free enough that it will spring back.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
When you took the stopper plate off the shaft rotated to it's correct position. Simply install the stopper plate with the shaft in that position.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I reset the adjuster so there's as much free space above the stud as possible, that allows more future adjustment w/o having to reset again. Note that the punch mark shows the amount of adjustment left, 9 o'clock position is replacement time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts