Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried searching but maybe I'm using the wrong search terms as I'm sure this will have been covered.
The balance box between the downpipes, I've seen quite a few with this removed and blanked off.

So needed? or not really. Any rejetting required?

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
The balance tube (or box) or crossover pipe (or chamber or plenum) does exactly that - serve to balance the exhaust pulses from the two cylinders. It effectively doubles the muffler volume for each individual exhaust pulse. Supposedly, it also quiets the machine down, too.

But, no, not necessary at all on any bike. And usually, no rejetting would be required by blanking it off.

At least that's how I've understood it.

Kirk

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
How are you planning on "blanking it off"? There are holes in the pipes so....? Are you planning on replacing the headers with 450 headers?

GB :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My downpipes have already been blanked off, badly, with weld and I don't have a box. Downpipes are however u/s so the question is more what do I need to replace them with and did I therefore need a box or not.

Ta for answers.

·
Registered
357 Posts
If the down pipe still has the "T" branching out, any piece of chrome tubing the right size would do the trick, plus it would look like the cross over pipes you see on many old Britt bikes. Thought about doing this myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts