Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently, I pull into my backyard, drive on the grass around deck (wife loves that) to concrete slab beside deck. I have a chock. To leave I have to push bike backwards over the grass , using the fence to get leverage, until I am far back to be able ride through grass again. Sometimes the ground is soft, so I use a flat piece of wood under tires and move bike solwly. I can't back bike in I am not strong enough to get it up on concrete slab. Any ideas to work around?
I was thinking getting some landscape stones and extending into yard a bit more. A winch to help pull bike maybe. Last option, hit the gym and do some steroids!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yeesh. I'd be very careful of moving the bike with anything besides hand power (with help, if need be). Some kind of ramp might be helpful to help clear the gap up to your slab, but I'd want it to be wide enough that you have enough space on it for you and the bike at the same time. I can sling my 360 around pretty easily, but with heavier bikes like my 750 (the kind I can't catch if they start to tip), the fewer moments where I really have to force it, the safer it's going to be for me and the bike. How high is the slab?

·
Registered
866 Posts
I would create a tasteful rock path so as not to piss off the wife to give a solid path. That way when you pull it back it should roll easily to where you need it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
You might also consider a new flowerbed off to the side that convenient comes with an extended portion that just so happens to be perfectly positioned to ramp the bike up to the landing ;) it's Valentine's Day, after all.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The concrete is about 2 to 2.5 inches above the grass. maybe a ramp will let me back it out easier. snow is clearing soon. i can run over the flower bed make bike smell pretty. i dont have room to turn bike around. 3.5 ft wide 9 ft length is space i use. thanks for ideas

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
That is a tough issue but it does sound like a beautiful and secure place to park your bike.

It almost sounds like you need a reverse gear to get your bike parked so you can simply ride it out and be on your way whenever you want.
As you said, a winch might do the trick. Light duty electric winches are inexpensive and wireless controls are available at low prices as well.
A handlebar mounted remote control could allow you to keep both hands on the grips while the winch pulls you back into your parking spot.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I don't have one of these, but have seen them in use. They look O.K., except that the chinesium (like steel, only softer) may not live outside for long. Also, I'd be very careful that a pebble doesn't lock up a caster wheel and cause you to tip the bike over. You could park the bike and get off, then spin it around in place. That would let you ride away without backing up. There are other brands and types out there if you look around. Anyway, I think Alan F. gave you the best answer when he said "turntable".

·
Registered
866 Posts
Use a long board for the ramp so the incline is gradual and easier to do. Then back walk the bike in. I back my versys in where I climb up the front porch 4 steps while avoiding the fence post holding it upright to get past the steps to get into the backyard and then into a shed. It just gets easier to do with practice.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Hit the gym...:D I push a 500+ pound Sportster uphill to get it out of my back yard, and back it downhill into the shed where I keep it. My old Honda 350 lives there, too, and it feels like pushing a minibike in comparison.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts