Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have some advice on this?

I was on the highway going about 70 when the bike lost power. I made it into a parking lot and found oil all over the rear tire and underside of everything.

I've drained the remaining oil and refilled it. The bike took forever to start. It now runs really rough and backfires out of the left exhaust. Also, there's whitish oil smoke blowing out of the vent tube.

Haven't had much time to really look at things. But I was hoping this would seem like an obvious problem to someone here and maybe they can point me in the right direction.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Sounds like a blown head gasket to me. The oil out the breather tube is because the combustion pressure is pressurizing the crankcase and forcing the oil out.

Check the compression and you'll know for certain.

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Could also be damage from fuel-thinned oil.... (do you shut the petcock every time you park?)......This often results in cam lobe, tappet, and journal damage.....As well as expedited ring wear and compression loss.....(did the old oil smell of gas?)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do shut the petcock every time I park. And the oil did not smell of gas. So I'm fairly certain (and hopeful) that there's no major engine damage from fuel-thinned oil.

Now that I think about it, I realize that over the last several weeks, I've had to add oil more often than I think would be normal to maintain the proper level in the crankcase. I've only put 3000 miles on this bike, so I can't testify as to what "normal" really is with it. But it seemed to require a top-off frequently.

Also, a friend told me when he was riding behind me, he detected some smoke. So do you suppose I had a small head gasket leak that was causing me to burn oil little by little? And then I had a more severe head gasket blow-out that caused my current situation?

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
A reasonable assumption/application of logic....... A compression test would tell...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts