Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi from Edmonton, Canada. I think I made the last two-wheeled commute of the year today, and with the end of the riding season it's time to get serious my winter project. That would be the CJ360 I've had kicking around since 1980. After I rode it avidly as a teenager and 20-something in the 80s, it spent most of the 90s and 00s in an open-sided shed. In 2012 I came back to riding after a 20 year pause, but it was on a newer, larger bike. I finally hauled the old CJ out of the shed in 2013 and brought it back to roadworthy condition so that my teenage kids could learn to ride on it, but none of them really took to it. I've thought about selling it often, but all that time in the shed wasn't kind to it cosmetically, and I knew I'd never get more than a few hundred for it - not enough to offset the bit of sentimental investment I still have in it.
Which brings us to the fall of 2017. I wanted to spend $1500 or so on a running bike that I could clean up over the winter, and either flip in the spring or keep around as a "guest bike". Unfortunately the money just isn't there because we're still paying off our daughter's August wedding. The good news is I now have a son-in-law who rides. He's interested in cafe racers, so I've decided to spend my meager funds on a cafe rebuild of the 360. I know the purists out there among you are cringeing; I've resisted the idea myself for a long time. Honestly though it's no prize of originality already, and it's just a white elephant to me as it is. So my mind is made up, and I have a hump-back seat and frame hoop on order from E-Bay. I'll put up a build thread when things get going.
This seems like a friendly and helpful place, so I'm looking forward to drawing on the collective knowledge, and maybe add a tidbit or two of my own. Maybe I'll even get the cussed thing to idle properly!
Here it is in its original livery and a layer of farm dust, circa 1982
2017-10-30 7 15 PM Office Lens.jpg
This is around 1986 in the new paint I chose for it.
2017-10-30 7 13 PM Office Lens.jpg

·
Registered
500 Posts
Welcome to the forum, nice project and looking forward to your tread. You will find plenty of info and kind people willing to help and share their knowledge. I have a 79 CB 400 T Cafe'd myself and don't regret it at all. Actually, I have lots of people on my heels willing to buy it.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Welcome aboard, from the condition you describe it sounds like a good candidate for modification. Taking a really clean complete bike and cafeing it I don't think should be done but one that's less than very good condition is fine.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Welcome to the group.

One good side effect of modifying bikes is it frees up parts for folks doing restorations. Hopefully your leftovers will find a good home.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Nice bike, welcome!
There’s options to make the the CJ a bit sportier without being irreversible too.

Like your 80’s tank paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the group.

One good side effect of modifying bikes is it frees up parts for folks doing restorations. Hopefully your leftovers will find a good home.
Yes, I imagine the muffler and the seat cowl will be easy to get rid of. A lot of the take-offs will be generic Honda stuff though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice bike, welcome!
There’s options to make the the CJ a bit sportier without being irreversible too.

Like your 80’s tank paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I agree the paint is pretty dated, but for a retro cafe build that's not a bad thing. My favorite thing about that whole color scheme was the tank decals, originally for a Magna or early Shadow. The brown-to-gold gradient match perfectly with my colors and pinstripe, and the rockered letters are pretty cool. Because of those decals I won't repaint the tank (at least for now) 20171031_201950.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts