Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, working on the new bike and I am wondering how do I remove the front axle? Is good ol` muscle with a block of wood and a hammer.? Or is there more to it? I am swapping front tires with a 21" but the axle that came with that wheels has a different shoulder on it and it wont match up. So I was going to swap axles, of not then maybe the entire and brake set up.

Thanks Robert

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Ok, I'll bite.
What bike do you have? Put that info in your signature line so everyone can know each time you post.

What bike is the 21" (inch) wheel from? Very few bikes have the same hub width and axle size to allow easy swapping.

There are other concerns, are you planning on a front brake? Do both wheels have the same type of brake, disc or drum?

What size tire are you planning to run?
Swapping to a 21" wheel may leave you with reduced front suspension travel, there are ways to extend fork travel that might work to keep the tire from rubbing the lower triple clamp, but what are you planning for a front fender?

Are you planning a show bike or a ride-it-like-you-stole-it hot rod?

In the end you may win 5 out of 5 Ichiban-Moto stickers, but you may rather have a safe rideable bike you can count on.

You've come to the right place, lots of us do custom work and fit stuff together that would make Soichiro either spin in his grave or ask for a test ride, the rest can quote wiring diagrams and torque specs and tell you to be careful of what part will want to go sproing, flying across into the neighboring driveway when you take something apart.
Share lots of photos, ask lots of questions and we'll all be better for it, not just your safe, reliable, customized bike.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Hi Medic Rob,

Sometimes I'm sure you refer to diagrams, and this is one of those bike related times which may help.

I assume the bike is up in the air with the front wheel free to rotate and safe.

I also assume you have undone/removed any nuts, bolts and clamps etc. and tried to push the axle thru the hub, with no success.

I further assume you may have tried some "gentle persuation" by tapping the axle, even tapping the axle harder with support on the other side, all of which has not worked ??

So where is it stuck??

See parts diagrams and exploded views and figure out which part or parts the axle is stuck to/corroded to ?

It may just be stuck to a distance piece, and/or bearing inner race, and/or bearing distance peice inside the hub, and/or alloy fork axle hole, or even ( worst case ) all of the metioned !!

I assume its not a british wheel you are working on ?

Pictures can help us, exploded views can help you.

Remember that when hitting the axle thru the hub system, use the largest "rod" that will go thru the holes, also the rod should have a "prepared end" that is gunna butt up[ against the stuck axle, which must not damage the axle, and, always start with the smallest hammer and work your way up ( just like with needles, as I'm a "jumper" ).

A suitable length and suitably large diameter bit of brass shaft, or brass drift or similar soft metal, would be of help for thread protection etc..

Some oak or teak hard wood would also do, even pine or ply if northing else is to hand.

REMEMBER to push against the other side of the system tightly with a larger hammer/weight, so as to stop the shock/forks tending to bend/bike trying to move etc., etc., etc......this is half the trick and important.

Get an assistant as you only have 2 hands, just like me.

Take your time, the bike is a patient as well !

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Do we assume that you first removed the wheel/axle from the fork, so you can rest it on a workbench? If so, find a close-fitting bit of tubing (PVC pipe works well) to put over the end of the axle opposite the threaded end, long enough to let the axle move through it, with the wheel resting on it, and braced so as not to fall off. Or, bore a hole in a board large enough to accept the end of the axle. Squirt a bit of penetrating oil into the axle/wheel seam on the threaded end. Then, as stated above, use a suitable material - brass, aluminum, wood - to protect the threaded end and strike carefully. I find a dead-fall hammer works best for this kind of work. Once the axle starts to move, you should be able to slide it out without using the hammer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@J_Tbomb, Alan F., drtdreamer and WintrSol

Sorry guys for the lack of info. I have a 1969 cb450 that was a project of somebody else's that i picked up cheap. It has a Voodoo hardtail already welded on and came with extra parts being made into a bobber style I would say. I have a 21 inch wheel with drum brakes that came off I believe a early 70s cb750. I was hoping to just remove the axle and brake assembly from the original 18 inch hub and slide it into the cb750 hub. Or just swap axles. If all else fails I can swap the entire hub and re-spoke the wheel itself. I thought that just swapping axles would be the easiest, the original axle has a different shoulder to it so the forks can fit properly. I will try to attach pics and edit my signature, thanks for the quick response guys.

I didn't want to just start hammering on it without knowing the proper techniques..

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
No old CB750 had a drum brake, can you post some photos of the forks and wheel so we can try to identify what you have? Does the 21" wheel complete with its drum brake fit between your forks? Can you mock it up with some other bolt or long screwdriver as an axle and post a photo?

·
Registered
791 Posts
You are aware of cmsnl for its exploded views ?

You are aware of the drum and/or disc arrangement, year, type and market dependant ?

You are aware of the "special nut" fitted to the end of the axle, that fits into the 2 fork caps, it will have flats on it ?

Go see the cmsnl exploded views for your bike to clarify, some pictures would be nice too.

Just like blood groups, bike model helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts