Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an '82 CB450SC, it's got the factory oil cooler bolted to the bottom end, but I run this thing HARD. No temp gauge so no clue of the temps but I've got a feeling it is getting close to or is overheating. In the twisties or on the freeway it's no problem, but in Oakland and San Francisco I tend to ride very fast from one light to the next and the engine gets really really hot.

I've looked at the parts diagram and my spare bottom crank case and it seems the factory oil cooler bolts on and seals with 2 O-rings. Is there any reason I couldn't tap those holes for NPT or AN and run lines to a larger oil cooler mounted to my fork?

Please don't tell me to slow down, that's not the solution for me.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The CB450S has had a solid influence on my desire to fit the VF500F tank. Such a good looking bike. I believe it was only made because of the import ban in Brazil.

Back on topic, I've got a number of bottom case halve on hand and this seems feasible. I guess I'm gonna measure some stuff and go for it. I'll report back with the results. I've got my original '82 engine in need of a rebuild, so this'll coincide with that. The '85 engine I'm using is dropping second gear quite frequently so I'm a little keen to rebuild the '82. As an aside, any chance I'll ever find NOS shift forks and shift drum?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Which is the send, upper or lower?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been through my FSM PDF but I'm not seeing anything. I know I've seen an oiling diagram for this engine before. After a cursory googling, still now finding it. I'll look harder when I'm home from work.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Well, my best guess is it's fed through the lower then pumped to the upper hole(where the sensor is), but perhaps wait for Jim to confirm.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Page 26 of the FSM or the first page of Section 2 Lubrication has the diagram.
Oil flow is from the pump to the upper cooler port and out the lower to the filter.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For some reason my the PDF of the FSM I keep on my phone show page 26 (2-0) at the very end of section 1. No wonder I couldn't find it. Thanks Jim!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts