Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Should I buy this bike for under $1000? (PICS BELOW)
Big time do it yourselfer for about two decades looking to buy my first bike. I own a honda wagon with an engine swap and a 1984 Mazda Rx7 which is pretty much daily driven.
I've done my research, educated myself regarding what to avoid and what to look for in regards to buying an older bike with cafe racer styling in mind.
Also a huge novice when it comes to riding.

That brings me to this 1982 CM450e with about 20k on it. This seller wants about 800/900 dollars. I want to offer about 600 bucks because of the exhaust and the reliablity concern although I dont plan on using it as a commuter at all. 750 the most.

From the ads photos I do notice that the main mufflers are missing the pod filters have been installed and that should make the bike run extremely poor.
Aside from that the tires/exterior/engine/forks/electronics looks pretty solid. I know to check the integrity of electronics the seals on the forks the swing arm bushing condition the chain/ sprocket condition. Anything particular to the cm450e that would be a deal breaker? Bike seems to have been taken care of by both this owner and previous owner

Any quick tips ? I am checking it out tomorrow.
Thanks

Here is the ad description:
To be transparent, I have had some issues keeping it running. I had it checked out by a mechanic -- they identified a problem with one of the spark plug's connections and an issue with the baffles in the exhaust. They fixed those issues, adjusted the brakes, set the tires to proper PSI, and took it for a test ride (I can provide the invoice for that work). The bike starts up now, but it may need some more work so I can't guarantee it will run reliably in the future.

Some more details:
6-speed manual transmission
Included in price are 3 quarts (unopened) of motorcycle oil, a fresh oil filter, a can of chain lubricant (unopened), and a jug of Sta-bil fuel stabilizer (also unopened)
Excellent external/cosmetic condition -- owner before me stored it in a garage
During winter I stored it in a climate-controlled storage unit. Currently don't have a garage but always keep it covered
Odometer at 20,475
Clean title in hand
Tires in great condition
All lights and indicators work normally
Cash only

CAFE1.jpg
CAFE2.jpg
CAFE3.jpg
CAFE5.jpg
CAFE4.jpg
CAFE6.jpg
CAFE7.jpg

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I see that the seller isn't very adept at cable routing. For a first bike, you will be in for some wrenching to get it to perform well. If the seller has the stock air box, that would be an improvement in the way it runs. Since it is your first bike, I would recommend putting it back to as stock as possible. Get a feel for the bike, and then, customize it . The clutch cable needs to be through the forks as well as the throttle cables to work efficiently. Front brake cable and speedometer cable need to be re routed to not foul on the engine. Front fender needs to be installed to keep the lower forks working in unison and keep the front end stable (not to mention road muck on you and the engine). A rear fender (even a short one) will help keep road muck off your back.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Dan's mentioned all the obvious stuff so no need to repeat that. The carbs are likely rejetted for the pods so they'll need to be brought back to normal jetting with a stock airbox, easy stuff. PO hasn't cut the frame or modified the suspension, good stuff. It'll need mufflers, lots of choice there. Curious about the battery situation. I'd offer $500 and work up from there. Point out all the bad that's going to need attention to get the sellers attention. Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All right guys I was able to look at the bike when is the coldstart up and I have a bit more information regarding the condition of the bike. First and foremost the bike turned on no problem. Did see him play with the choke him not sure if this owner was so interested in to the choker going on but didn't seem to use it too much I'm rather a bit to get it going it seems to idle fine however As it started to warm up and we can begin to continue talking I did notice saw a bit of a Valve train tick intermitent very noticeable. Combine that with his story of the bike stalling and having to wait to cool down to fire back up. He knows it will act up before a mile or 2. Will put a link to the sfarf up and idling although I did not get to caputure the ticking sound. Links in a short moment

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Start up
A short while before the ticking began

Dont think i mentioned prior but the previous owner got this owner for $1400 he also put 340 into it for that shop visit his mentioned in the ad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts