Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a '72 or so cl 450 with the oil valve built in to the sprocket, There is a thin metal retainer that prevents the sprocket from coming off when unbolted. I believe it was missing or removed from the '71 parts bike because the sprocket and retainer came right off. What gives with the stupid retainer that has to be destroyed to get a sprocket off?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
The retainer doesn't have to be destroyed. Remove the two bolts, turn the retainer to the next spline, then slide it off. Now the sprocket can slide off as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry that is unclear. In addition to the retainer you describe there is a washer( ?) with steel tabs slightly thicker than beer can material. They interfere with the splining, tabs bent, break when bent back, and I can't get a grip in the flat bolt.

The two bolts are off and the retainer you speak of is off and should go back on fine. I jus't can't get enough of this out thing out of the way without destroying it.

Maybe it's a factory part that other PO's all got rid of once the first sprocket comes off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When in doubt, leave it out?

I don't see how it could make it start puking oil or anything like that, so I think it's already going away. One of those over engineered features that they even dropped on the later bikes.

Maybe I use a dremel to remove what doesn't break off.

Just waiting for someone to chime in and explain how I'm going to irreparably destroy the bike by doing this.

·
Sensei
27,069 Posts
That plug, screw, and tabbed washer are part of the "chain oiler" system that Honda tried but later discontinued.....
Swapping in an earlier or later 5 speed counter-shaft is the preferred cure, although some manage to shut off and plug that feature.....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a five speed, but has the feature. I do have a drawing in the manuals and it's not real clearly drawn, but is in no way needed. I might build an older bike later swap splines if one comes available, but this one is in the bike for now.

And I think the oiler can effectively be adjusted to the off position.

Thanks for the responses.....

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
The washer with the tabs does not interfere with removing the sprocket on my K3. Somehow, yours is installed incorrectly, or was replaced with the wrong washer. The tabs bend back over the retaining nut, and are pressed flat.

·
Sensei
27,069 Posts
Three of the tabs SHOULD fit into the shaft's splining, (possibly blocking removal of the sprocket), and three are available to crimp against the hex of the oil reserve plug..... Unfolded, any of those could block easy removal.......

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
... although some manage to shut off and plug that feature.....
Yeah some of us removed the plug and guts without damaging the lock. Then carb cleaned the hole out until it was spotless and filled it with silicone. Reinstall the plug and retainer lock. Done no more leak. I later swapped to the non-leaky output shaft.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Three of the tabs SHOULD fit into the shaft's splining, (possibly blocking removal of the sprocket), and three are available to crimp against the hex of the oil reserve plug..... Unfolded, any of those could block easy removal.......
Then I guess mine was actually installed incorrectly by the PO. Or, just bent out of the way when he replaced the sprocket, and left it that way. Like others, I plugged my oiler, to stop the oil stains on my driveway. I used a weak thread locker instead of that bent washer when I put it back together.

Honda didn't have a new idea with this. Auto oilers were the reason HDs were known for 'marking their spot'. They had two: one for the primary chain, and one for the drive chain. We didn't have the really good chain lubes back then, and the main reason for chain and sprocket failures was often rust. There were a few auto oilers you could mount over the chain, too; some are still available.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts