Honda Twins banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a pretty new member to the forum but figured I should post up what I'm working on since I have made enough progress to actually have something to type. I have also hit my first MAJOR hitch so why not write down the progress in case someone else is looking for help on the issue.

I picked this bike up at the end of June:

bike 1.jpg

It hasn't been started for a decade. I figured why not clean up the bike first, so I went ahead with the easy stuff. Make it pretty so my wife doesn't stare at what she thinks is a disaster everyday. Progress is important, especially when you say its a "summer project".

Here are some pics of the bike along the way since they'll do a lot better job of explaining what I did than me typing it:

bike3.jpg

carb2.jpg

carb1.jpg

throttle.jpg

primed.jpg

tank.jpg

and here is where it's at now:

now.jpg

I de-rusted the tank with vinegar, it flash rusted, so that was fun. I cleaned the carbs, changed the bars and painted the tank. The front brake feels terrible but it moves. Not too concerned about that right now because I just want the thing to turn over which brings me to the hitch.

aaaaand... here's the hitch. I put together a new battery. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Bought one of the dry batteries and poured in the acid. Sort of a pain, and a lot messier than I thought it would be, but I got the job done. The battery held a 6.1v charge when I was done with that. Can't complain.

So I reconnect the battery, and go to give it a kick. And I get nothing. So I check the plugs, clean them off even more so they are shiny and new, keep them out, give it a kick, and nothing. No spark.

I double checked the battery, and now the charge is down in the 4.somethings. So I guess I didn't do such a good job on the battery as I thought. I guess I'll charge that up again. Now I am assuming I have to poke around the bike with my multimeter finding where the current stops. Looking at the schematic, it shows I have a starter. Do these things have an electric start? Sorry about the total noob question but I assumed this was a kick start. I'm gonna kick around the forum for answers. I suck out loud at electric stuff so this is going to be a whole new world for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good work, ive always liked the little CM's but they're quite rare over here in Australia. I've never owned one myself but there is a bit of info on this forum/google.

Have a look at this one regarding your spark problems: http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/42...85-t-ignition-coil-replacement-will-work.html

Im not too flash with electrics either however someone will be along shortly with some ideas.

Subscribed to the build!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So a quick update. Last night a couple friends came over and we had a few beers and played with the bike. My neighbor swung by too and between all of us (and a couple beers), we figured out the bike is set up ok, it's just the battery wasn't good enough to get the switches to flip. So we connected my kids battery from his power wheels jeep and the bike lit up like a Christmas tree. All lights worked (even the blinkers) and the starter even moved. Even had spark!

So today I started charging the battery to get some more juice in it and in that process I broke one of the spark plugs. Joy. So I have a box on order and it should be here by next week. Since it looks like the electric is good and it also looks like I put everything back together correctly, I'm get it some new shoes and get the brakes to functional. I'm gonna do more cosmetic work in the meantime. I can't really do much until the mail comes so I started working on the rear fender which is beginning to shape up already. It started as the color ****brittle-brown but the chrome is coming back nicely.

image.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do you happen to have a manual with your bike?
I am rebuilding the exact same bike and would like the torque specs for the head bolts.

Cheers,

FlyingCleveland

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
The new battery should have been put on a charger and fully charged before using, it may be damaged

·
Registered
23 Posts
Might want to consider changing out the coil, rectifier, and condenser. There's a coil made for a '40s Harley that is pretty much plug and play for this bike. When I overhauled my bike I redid the wiring from scratch and simplified everything, check out my project video in the thread a couple under this one when you search cm185

Oh, and here is a link to a manual I found, the factory service manual, which I like a lot better than the clymers version

http://fuzol.atw.hu/letoltes/Honda_cm.pdf

Cheers from the other side of the country!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I have been running Duro's on my CM400 for three years now and happy with performance. I'm not an aggressive rider, but I have scraped the foot pegs many times and they haven't let go on me. Probably only 4 k or so on them so far but seem to be wearing well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been running Duro's on my CM400 for three years now and happy with performance. I'm not an aggressive rider, but I have scraped the foot pegs many times and they haven't let go on me. Probably only 4 k or so on them so far but seem to be wearing well.
Thanks! I am far from aggressive so I thought they would work but I read a few reviews where the rear tire skipped causing slides under normal braking. More positives is good.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Never experienced that , even on 'panic' braking. Maybe that happened to the rider going around a sharp turn and braking? For the price, I'm happy with mine. I also have them on my 81 CM400 as well as my 79 CM400. Forgot to mention, use only the manufacturer's recommended sizes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Forgot to mention, use only the manufacturer's recommended sizes.
That's why I like the Duros. Only brand I can find a pair of the same model tire that match specs in the manual. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
these are fun little bikes for around town and they are comfortable enough to be on them all day. but they're not at all fast owing to the small displacement. on the other hand mileage is outstanding. the bikes are very reliable if you keep up with them on basic stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've used Duro on my bigger bikes, 750 cruiser and 1100 flat four. Duro may be priced inexpensively but they perform as good as any higher priced brand in my experienced opinion.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Figured I would give another and final update. I've been riding the bike for months now and did some more work.

First, I did a quick and dirty 6v to 12v conversion. It was pretty simple, I read a bunch of threads on here where people were talking about doing all kinds of things to the bike, but also read that you can just pop a 12v battery in and blow the bulbs.

Well if you pop a 12v battery in, you will blow the bulbs, and the bike will start like a champ. I replaced all the blinkers with 12v equivalents and wired in a 24 watt 12v LED headlight.

The headlight was easy. I cut out the old bulb base with a Dremel, broke the bulb in the headlight up with a screwdriver, and JB welded a base for a replaceable LED bulb in place. It's stupid bright, doesn't tax the electrical system, and is now no longer a sealed beam set up.

Once the bulbs were swapped it was all systems go again. Just wanted to put it out there that one these bikes it is in fact possible to pop in a 12v and ride it if you don't want to go through a major song and dance with replacing or upgrading parts from a CM200.

I've been riding almost daily for months now and have had zero issues and no have the benefit of having a lot more bulb options available versus scouring the net or special ordering 6v stuff. I might do some more cosmetic work, like clean up some of the oxidation and junk off the bike, but it gives it character I think.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts