Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my search for a gasket kit to rebuild the 450 I have come across these 2 manufacturers. I have used Athena kits before with success. I have never used any gaskets from Vesrah. I have used their pads in racing but never their gaskets. The Vesrahs are $43 for the whole set. The Athena kit I can only find one or two of and they are $94. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
If the more expensive kit contains the valve guide seals, you're about $40 ahead right there.
I've had problems with Vesrah kits in the past - missing gaskets, no valve guide seals, screw holes punched in the wrong places, etc. They also most of the time do not include all the o-rings, especially the ones on the oil filter cover plate (one of those is NLA, and impossible to find anywhere). Sometimes even the o-rings that go on the tappet adjuster shafts are MIA, and those are absolutely critical dimensionally.

As always, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was thinking too. They do both claim to have the valve seals though.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found one of the Athena ones on Old Bike Barn for only $74. On order. The only thing that sucks is that I hate ordering from them. It takes for ever to get anything from them.

·
Registered
785 Posts
tbpmusic said:
If the more expensive kit contains the valve guide seals, you're about $40 ahead right there.

As always, you get what you pay for.
The valve guide seals in either Vesrah or Athena are made of garbage and won't last 1000 miles before you start burning oil now a days.
Viton valve seals will last a few more than 1000 miles.
I use APE seals when I rebuild a head.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How long do they tend to last? Do you order by valve size or by bike type?

·
Registered
785 Posts
owdskl said:
How long do they tend to last? Do you order by valve size or by bike type?
I order by part number because I use the same seals over and over again.
All you have to do is call APE and Patrick or who ever answers the phone will help you out quickly and efficiently.
APE seals last a long time so I am told by all that have been using them. I use them in my own engines and engines I rebuild for customers since I found out the hard way that Honda does not sell good valve guide seals anymore in any gasket set they sell.
From my own experience, Honda, Vesrah and Athena valve guide seals all start to leak in less than 1000 miles and the head has to come apart again.
APE valve seals last for at least 6 years that I personally know of and will no doubt last 3 times longer than that.

·
Registered
785 Posts
tbpmusic said:
They don't seem to have anything for our particular bikes, though......
That is why I said to call them. 661-256-7309
They will help one over the phone with patience.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What about valve guides? Any good resources for them?

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
owdskl said:
What about valve guides? Any good resources for them?
If you can't find stock replacements you can take it to a good auto machine shop and they can knurl the stock guides to return the proper clearances. It's a real "old school" way of repairing the clearances but it works.

Why are you looking to replace the guides? Are the valves just sticking or have you measured the stem to guide clearance? Replacing guides is not exceptionally difficult but it can be a hassle without the right tools and unnecessary in most cases. If the valves are sticking in the guides try some solvent along with some small brass brushes (Harbor Freight has some cheap ones) and clean the guides first. Some solvent w/0000 steel wool should clean the valve stems up nicely.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think they are fine. I was asking just in case.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
owdskl said:
I think they are fine. I was asking just in case.

You don't want to mess with valve guides unless you have to.
You have to strip the head, heat it in an oven, then punch out the old ones and replace them.
Then you have to ream them out with a precision reamer (special tool), they are NOT spec diameter out of the box.........

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ordered the ones from Ape. He only had a half set for an inline 4 so I will still have an extra set. If someone wants the extra set I will split the cost so it would be $8 or $10 plus postage. Anyway they will be here in a few days.

·
Registered
785 Posts
owdskl said:
I ordered the ones from Ape. He only had a half set for an inline 4 so I will still have an extra set. If someone wants the extra set I will split the cost so it would be $8 or $10 plus postage. Anyway they will be here in a few days.
That makes me feel good that I was able to help you score parts for your rebuild. :cool:

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Hi has anybody tried these gaskets from EBAY (item number 360312531967)they seem to be a reasonable price and he also sells seal sets. I can't find any Vesrah kits anywhere and the genuine ones cost a small fotune as they are all the separate gaskets and not a kit, unless anyone knows of an available kit?
Lee.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Hope-Springs said:
Hi has anybody tried these gaskets from EBAY (item number 360312531967)they seem to be a reasonable price and he also sells seal sets. I can't find any Vesrah kits anywhere and the genuine ones cost a small fotune as they are all the separate gaskets and not a kit, unless anyone knows of an available kit?
Lee.

http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/Index_Main_Frame.htm

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Hi I checked the link and they do full gasket sets for the CB/CL450 1968-1972, would these fit a 1966 K0, or are there differences.
Lee.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts