Honda Twins banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang. Heres one for you all! I have a 1965 CB160. I have as of late been trying to sort out the engine. After 4 times taking it apart and putting it back together again, I cant help but think my cam chain is too short! I have ruined 2 sets of cam journals and cannot figure out why! First time, cam chain seemed too tight, had difficulty making the cam master link fit. Had to use a small pry bar. Put the cam in the journals first. After it was all together, started right up and ran around the block. Then started to run very sluggish then froze! Ok took it all apart and had a bear of a time getting the journals off! The first set was scored at the bottom. Second attempt. Different journals, emeryed the cam ends to shiney, this time , leaked oil at the cylinder base and ran about 20 minutes. Same thing! Ok so now I was most meticulous with cleaning the surfaces and oil passages, New journals and gaskets and cam chain, 82 links, Aligned the cam and put the head cover on and tightened the bolts first! The journals almost slid on, HOME FREE!! NO!!!Started right up, oil out the base of the cylinder(left side) shut her down after just a minute or so. Took it all apart yet again and the bottom of the journals were starting to score!!! Also, do the knock pins at the cylinder base each get an 0 ring? I am at the end of my cam chain!!! Thanks everyone! Bruce(Majic 2)

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Sounds like your heads not getting oil, which means your cams toast, which is wrecking your journals.
The journals are plain bearings if there's no oil the journals and the cam will wear against each other.
Are the gasket oiling holes aligned ? The journals need to go on before the cam chain , and taking the journals on and off without releasing the cam chain ( and the associated tension ) is likely to damage the journals

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The gasket holes line up just fine! I know oil is pumping up the left side of the cylinders.
The holes in the cam and journals are free . What am I missing??

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
How do you know youre getting oil to the head?

Oil needs to flow up both the left and right rear outer studs. The cb200 is the only 'similar' designed engine that uses a single stud and that's the right rear.
As I said pulling the journals on and off without properly disassembling the head will likely damage the bearing faces.
Reusing an already damaged cam shaft with out getting it resurfaced ( not just sanding down the rough spots) will damage the journals.
No oil, not enough oil , or gas thinned oil will damage the surfaces. If you didn't change the oil between the two incidents?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have you checked the o ring in the oil 'filter' also that the oil pump plunger isn't worn .
Can you post any pics of the cam ends and journals ?
So interesting reading this thread, i have a CB175 and cant find an illustration of exactly where those green o rings go or which studs those little metal stud sleeves fit around, any help would be welcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
So interesting reading this thread, i have a CB175 and cant find an illustration of exactly where those green o rings go or which studs those little metal stud sleeves fit around, any help would be welcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pics from my last 175 rebuild.

DSCF2670.jpg

DSCF2679.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Is that a bronze bush fitted as an aftermarket fix ?

IMG_5837.JPG

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Simo! Brilliant! First I will check the oil filter and pump!
Thanks so much! I can hear her running already!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Simo,
Found this from Mike from Ohio!

mike in idaho's Avatar Join Date
Jan 2012
That parts drawing is mis-leading, I just looked at some parts, out in the shop, have a cylinder here with four dowels installed on the top. The head and barrel are counter bored in the corners to hold the dowels. Bottom of the cylinder is only counter bored in the front outside holes. I have a crankcase on the shelf with dowels installed around the front studs only. No dowels in the rear, they would block off the oil feed to the top end.

Comments??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts