Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is more a general question and not specific to a '76 CB360, I think.

I have ridden the bike a couple of times since getting it. I had it out for a couple of spins around the block to see how it handled with different handlebars. I came back and parked it in the garage. I left the fuel valve on 'on' (not on purpose). The next morning the garage had a smell of gasoline. When I took a close look at the gas lines I noticed a small film of gas on the left side of the left carb just in front of the choke where the float meets the carb body. I wiped it and in a few seconds it was back. Not enough to drip. (Then I moved the fuel valve to 'stop'). I wiped it a few more times and it kept doing it. When I looked at it with a magnifying glass, I could see it seeping ever slow slowly and I guess the fumes were actually creating the film of gas above the gasket line. I put the bike up on the center stand and waited a while. It seems to have stopped. I have not put it back down on the side stand yet. I think the angle of the bike had something to do with it along with the valve being open.

My first inclination is that I need to replace the gasket. The amount of gas is negligible, but it does enough to give off a smell of gas.

Thanks for any opinions or suggestions.

jon

·
Registered
265 Posts
Mine did that as well, even with the petcock turned off(see my build thread where my cheap butt made an internal gasket for that). Replace the gasket, it's a common thing on older bikes. I am so cheap I cut flat gaskets from gasket material I got at the parts store, just so I didn't have to order new ones and screw with round gaskets in square holes.(Anyone who has replaced them knows what I mean.) ;)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Get new bowl gaskets. Mine did the same thing. It's just an O-ring. To make install easier get some crazy glue and put some dots around to hold the O-ring.

Also turn your petcock off after riding.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
You might wanna check your oil after this. The level of it and the smell...

Or just change it for cheap insurance.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
You might wanna check your oil after this. The level of it and the smell...

Or just change it for cheap insurance.

GB :mrgreen:
Well, the smell of gas is gone and the seeping has stopped. I did remove the dip and give the oil a whiff. It does seem to have a slight smell of gas. It may just be my imagination, but it can't hurt to change the oil. That is a no brainer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts