Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IMG_3335.jpg

So in my '70 CL450 rebuild I'm buying Hagon shocks from Dave Quinn.
Here's a pic of one of my shocks off the bike - measuring center of eye to clevis it looks like just under 14" unless I'm measuring wrong. Dave thinks someone stuck a different shock on there (SL350?) What's the OEM stock shock length supposed to be? I want to keep the geometry as stock as possible unless there some big benefit to change things.
Hagon's for Honda come in 12.2, 13.2 and 14.2.
I'm also putting a '74 front end on the bike so get the better forks.

Thanks-

DW

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I see ~12.5" from eye to clevis bolt center, which is about stock for the CB450 (not sure about the CL, though).

EDIT: I just looked it up, and the K3 CB and CL used the same shock. With the K4, they left the upper case off the CL shock, so the whole spring is exposed. Unfortunately, they don't show the damper part # for that model CL in my book, but the spring is the same as the CB.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it's the same as the CBs it's 320 then thnx. Bill just looked up your CB sweet baby Jesus that's well done.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Most are around 30-33cm. I've a pair of aftermarket 70's Marzocchi adjustable shocks, and those were all 30cm.

But I wonder - does it really matter how long they are? If the spring is softer, they will compress more to begin with. If you really want to keep the stock height, you should measure how long the shocks are when they are compressed, with you on the bike - and then find aftermarket shocks that will be at the same compressed height. If they have thicker (and less coiled) springs, they can be slightly shorter, and if they have thinner (and more coiled) springs, they may be longer. However, even Honda probably did not fit the best shocks for handling for all people on their bikes, so you should rather search for shocks that make the bike handle the best. If I replace them, I perffer to use slightly shorter ones (f.e. a cm or two).

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
If it's the same as the CBs it's 320 then thnx. Bill just looked up your CB sweet baby Jesus that's well done.
ah shucks (modestly)...
But seriously, the folks at Dave's will ask you your weight, riding habits, etc. and they'll suggest a shock for you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So just got off the phone with Dave. He admits he's not a Honda head so we had no definitive answer on the stock shock length. Decided to go with the 13.2" length shocks.
I can't believe how hard it is to find a straight answer on the web for the stock shock length of the CL and whether or not it's the exact same as the CB...

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
As long as you do what Hagon recomends you will be OK. I bought mine from Hagon USA and bought what the woman on the phone recomended. They offered a free spring change if they didn't work. They are great and I am full grown. My bike has the same suspension setup you will have. I hope you like it as much as i do.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I wish I could give you a measurement, but I can't, sorry.
I can give you some model info though....it helps to know about what you don't know about , you might know about it someday.

52401-292-670 CB450 K1/2/3/4 CL450 K0/2/3/4 (292 is our friend the 450 number)

52400-323-681XW (323 is 500F number)
superceded by
52400-390-681XW CB450 K5/6/7, CB500F, CB550F (390 is 550F number)

52400-347-670 (347 is the CL450 K5/6 number)
superceded by
52400-458-670 CL450 K5/6 (458 is unknown to me, don't know what this supercede was all about)

I doubt if the lengths changed at all - that still doesn't answer your question though.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
So just got off the phone with Dave. He admits he's not a Honda head so we had no definitive answer on the stock shock length. Decided to go with the 13.2" length shocks.
I can't believe how hard it is to find a straight answer on the web for the stock shock length of the CL and whether or not it's the exact same as the CB...
I have two pair of the stock shocks on a shelf, and they all measure just as your photo shows - ~12.5" eye center to clevis bolt center.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts