Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took possession of this pretty rough condition 68/69 a few days ago. It was received as non running and finished in this pretty brown colored primer :). It has a drilled front hub which I am guessing was done to lighten it? The steering bump/stop plate has been ground off the front head stem and the there is a steering tensioner which is adjusted by that large black knob just behind the handle bar.

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread
Automotive tire Fender Material property Thigh Gas
Motor vehicle Vehicle Gauge Automotive design Speedometer
Automotive tire Wood Rim Gas Automotive wheel system
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread
Automotive tire Fender Material property Thigh Gas
Motor vehicle Vehicle Gauge Automotive design Speedometer
Automotive tire Wood Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Some folks used to drill the front hub ostensibly for better brake cooling, IMHO doing that to a stock 350 front brake hub just weakens it. That steering stop appears to have been broken off in some kind of low speed crash, looks like the handlebars are a little tweaked also. That's a standard issue, stock Honda steering damper.

Reactions: ausman1000

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Looks to be a K0 (1968) model. The tail light (unique to the ‘68), friction steering damper, 10,500 tach redline, and wheel hubs all indicate that It probably is. Someone drilled the front hub for cooling, but that doesn’t mean it was raced. I drilled mine back in the day, too.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Plant

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the input. I'm new to this hobby and thought that the lightened hub was perhaps an indication that some type of racing was in its past, perhaps dirt track. Then I thought the missing steering stop might be for extra steering range (tank slapping) when drifting into the turns! Forgot to mention the center stand is missing too.

Anyway got the engine running, it was a high resistance main ground connection issue. I was expecting the carbs but the float bowls were very clean so I proceeded to give it a go. Speaking of clean, the tank is virtually rust free inside and leak free so that is a bonus though the various dings are not.

Got new tires on order and new rear shocks and some other things so I can get it reasonably safe to ride and ascertain what else needs attention. My son rode it slowly up and down the cul-de-sac and shifted it successfully through all gears so that gives me hope that it is a good candidate for restoration.

cheers

·
Registered
70 Posts
Having holes in the hub without a screen is probably not an upgrade. Can you imagine if by sheer chance a pebble got kicked up in there and locked up the brakes?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Having holes in the hub without a screen is probably not an upgrade. Can you imagine if by sheer chance a pebble got kicked up in there and locked up the brakes?
Good point.

If my memory serves me, I believe I have seen mention on a thread that after being drilled they were plugged with plastic or rubber caps caps?

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
^^^Or maybe some aluminum screen wire bonded inside the hub with a smear of JB Weld? On second thought, it would be safer to buy another hub from eBay.

That is a great looking bike you found, and good on you for getting it running so quickly. I don't know for sure that your headlight bucket on that early 350 is made of plastic, but it likely is. If so, please read this post I made on here about 8 years ago. It is still valid, and I notice that your bike doesn't yet have the normal chunk missing from the bucket at 12:00 o'clock high. Plastic headlight bucket

I would sure get that fork stop welded back before using the bike too much. Decent fuel tanks are getting hard to find.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Hey fxray, the early 350s had steel headlight buckets.

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
Hey fxray, the early 350s had steel headlight buckets.
OK -- I know my 1970 SL350 has a steel bucket, but my 1970 CB450 and my 1971 CL350 both have plastic ones. I was not sure about ausman1000's CB350. It's too bad they were not all steel.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
OK -- I know my 1970 SL350 has a steel bucket, but my 1970 CB450 and my 1971 CL350 both have plastic ones. I was not sure about ausman1000's CB350. It's too bad they were not all steel.
I’d guess just the 1968 and 1969 shells were steel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^^Or maybe some aluminum screen wire bonded inside the hub with a smear of JB Weld? On second thought, it would be safer to buy another hub from eBay.

That is a great looking bike you found, and good on you for getting it running so quickly. I don't know for sure that your headlight bucket on that early 350 is made of plastic, but it likely is. If so, please read this post I made on here about 8 years ago. It is still valid, and I notice that your bike doesn't yet have the normal chunk missing from the bucket at 12:00 o'clock high. Plastic headlight bucket

I would sure get that fork stop welded back before using the bike too much. Decent fuel tanks are getting hard to find.
Headlight bucket is made of steel.

From my research, Yamaha XS1-B had factory drilled front hubs in an identical pattern to my cb350 honda.

Fork stop agreed, a tank saver for sure!
Yes my '69 is a steel bucket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts