Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing some planning on my '74 cl450 project. Are the electric starters dependable? I'm thinking about getting rid of one of the starters, and I'm leaning towards leaving off the kicker. Just leaving off the lever itself, not cutting off the shaft. Planning a new wiring harness with top quality connectors and electronic ignition.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
cl450nut said:
Doing some planning on my '74 cl450 project. Are the electric starters dependable? I'm thinking about getting rid of one of the starters, and I'm leaning towards leaving off the kicker. Just leaving off the lever itself, not cutting off the shaft. Planning a new wiring harness with top quality connectors and electronic ignition.
Sure they are - but, despite how poorly the 450 kick start work, I'm not sure I'd remove it.
Your major problem is not the starter, it's the charging system/battery.......you need a real healthy battery to depend on the electric starter.

I left the kick start off on my CB200, but that's just because it wouldn't clear the aftermarket mufflers.
And that bike weighs a LOT less than a 450, so if I ever have to push it, I won't stroke out on the side of the road.
I'm not interested in pushing a 450 anywhere...........

·
Registered
140 Posts
tbpmusic said:
...I'm not interested in pushing a 450 anywhere...........
Try pushing a 1340! My stator went out on me in the Smoky Mountains last fall and after pulling over to put on my rain gear there wasn't enough juice to overcome the 185psi. Had to push start on wet roads...which I couldn't do myself. :cry:

On the starter FWIW, My dad's bike (now mine) was always started with the e-start except for the 1st start of the season...gotta love MN. This was probably due to a weak or new / not charged battery. That said...the start clutch now doesn't turn the motor. I got it pulled last night and one spring was a couple turns short while another was stuck compressed in its cap. Hopefully when I reassemble with new springs it'll work for years to come.

·
Registered
608 Posts
mtnlvr said:
Hopefully when I reassemble with new springs it'll work for years to come.
Dreamer :lol: actually the way it works is "if" you know of a potential problem it will never happen , it's the unknown gottca's that get you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts